• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Eye piece with crosshairs

dawson

I am pretty rubbish at aligning my telescope (Skywatcher 127).

I think the main problem is that I never know when the object I'm aligning on is in the centre of view or not.

Is there a cheap option to get crosshairs into a lens? Or a cheap lens with crosshairs on? I'd only want it to alignment then I'd switch to another lens for viewing.

Regards

James

Thank you, that's useful.

I've just found a 12.5mm one on ebay for £34:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/111005221404?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&cbt=y

If anyone has one they want to sell for less than this let me know.

I just need some cloudless nights and non-early starst the next day now!

James

My tracking is usually off post alignment.

I get the tripod level. I do my two star alignment. Tracking is on sidereal. But it doesn't track well at all, sometimes I wonder if it's tracking at all!

Someone from the Nottingham AStronomical Society has said next time we have a nighttime event he'll help me and see what the issue is. I'm just impatient and want to get going myself.

I've used the 10mm eyepiece but I honestly find it tricky to know where the centre of the vield of view is. I wear glasses for distant vision and generally take these off when looking down the scope, I'm not sure whateveryone else does.

James

Guest CodnorPaul

I have a Nexstar (assuming yours is Celestron?) and it tracks OK - even if you dont get the alignment/go-to bang on when it finds something and you then centre it in the eyepiece it pretty much stays there.  It does go slightly from field of view but only after a good 30 minutes or so - I put it down to 2 star aligning rather than sky aligning but I cant get the sky align to work!

What I am trying to say is in my very limited experience it may not be the initial alignment that is the issue if you are finding things and centering them.  Maybe check the balance of your scope on the mount?

Sure someone more experienced than me will suggest some more ideas?

"Computerised Maksutov-Cassegrain astronomical telescope with a 127mm (5
inch) diameter primary mirror. SynScan AZ Go-To computerised
Alt-Azimuth HD GoTo mount. SynScan handset with a database of over
42,900 objects. Great for medium to high power work, produces detailed,
high contrast Lunar and Planetary images, plus capable of daytime
terrestrial use. Comes with a stainless steel tripod with accessory
tray, 10mm and 25mm 1.25" eyepieces, 6x30 finderscope and 90 degree star
diagonal. 55% more light gathering than a 102mm scope"... apparently :)

James

Edited by dawson

I use the spirit level on the tripod, and I've been advised to use a second one to really make sure it's level; I've not tried this.

I put in the correct co-ordinates for latitude and longitude. Correct time and day light saving info (though not sure that is as important for tracking).

30 minutes worth of tracking! I don't get 30 seconds most of the time.

Yes, maybe I am doing something really wrong.

I'm thinking is the tracking even on?

James

Guest CodnorPaul

if you go into the menu and look at scope set up there are some options in there to turn the tracking on/off, and change the settings of it - have you gone through them?

Guest Turtleboy

For what it's worth I had the Celestron goto and I couldn't get it to track correctly either although I am far from experienced so as said above it was probably something I was doing wrong. I could get it somewhere close using the 2 star align (couldn't get any of the other aligns to work at all) but the object would gradually drift out of the field of view in around 5 minutes.

Edited by Turtleboy

I think this is my manual, it looks very similar to my paper version (which is at home):

http://www.skywatcher.com/swtsupport/Instruction_Manuals/GT020609V3-03.05.pdf

I will have another go at doing it myself when the sky is clear.

Is simply selecting "Sid. Rate" on the tracking menu (page 12 of 22 in the above manual) sufficient ot turn the tracking on?

I'm sorry for being so dense!

The other thing I am now thinking is that I did an update of the software on the handset. I wonder if that has created an issue; to be honest I suspect the issue is me rather than it :)

Pat, if this doesn't solve the issue I will take yo uup on the kind offer.

James

Guest CodnorPaul

there should be an option in tracking rate or mode to turn off - I assume that is where you check it is on?  Other thing is maybe to have a play with the backlash settings?

James, to test the tracking, during the day (be careful of the sun) center your scope on a TV aerial, lamp post or something and set it going, give it a couple of minutes and see if the object is still in the field of view, if so, it's not tracking, if not it is tracking.

Next, see which sort of tracking you have selected, I think there are 2-3 different tracking speeds, 1 I think is siderail (used to track the moon) and the others should be for dso's, planets etc.

Let us know how you get on.

I work in Ruddington, which is 5 minutes from you, if you are still stuck, I could pop over in my lunch hour, see if I can help (in a very short period of time - lol)

Just re-read your post, I think you are using sidereal tracking, I believe that is for the moon!

Also, don't use the 10mm to center from the start, you will never find anything with that, start with the 25mm, center that, then switch to the 10mm.

Is yours a skywatcher go-to, I have sorted a few of those out over the last 2 years.

Thanks all again.

The options in the tracking sub-menu are:

Sid. Rate: This activates tracking in Sidereal rate (Dual Axes Tracking).
Lunar Rate: This activates tracking in Lunar rate (Dual Axes Tracking).
Solar Rate: This activates tracking in Solar rate (Dual Axes Tracking).
Stop Tracking: This stops the tracking instantly

I will try the lamp post / chimney thing tomorrow (day off).

James

Ahhh, wrong then, was going from memory.

Thats the one you want...

Sid. Rate: This activates tracking in Sidereal rate (Dual Axes Tracking).

If you are still stuck I can pop over tomorrow lunch.

Just to get back to your original question, I bought a screw in eyepiece ring.

It's like a standard 1.25" filter but is just clear glass with a cross hair on it.  It means I can use it on any EP.  It just screws on the end.

Just to get back to your original question, I bought a screw in eyepiece ring.

It's like a standard 1.25" filter but is just clear glass with a cross hair on it. It means I can use it on any EP. It just screws on the end.

That's cool Noel, where could I find one of those?

Well, when i got home tonight i set the tripod and mount up in the garage; i didn't attach the telescope. I went to the tracking menu and selected sidereal and looked at where the mount was. I've just been back to it and it's moved and i've discovered another menu on the handset which shows the position its pointing to, and the numbers are continually changing. So i'm pretty sure it is tracking.

What i need to do now is to have a go on a clear night and make sure i start it tracking and see how it tracks.

I'm holding off buying a lens with crosshairs for now in case i don't need it, but i'm also interested to know where that screw in version can be purchased from.

Thanks all

James

I've had an ebay tastic few days!

As well as some aftershave, and a usb extension lead, i got an Eye piece with illuminated cross hairs for 24 quid and a little power drive to remotely focus my scope for 37.

Neither have arrived yet, but i emailed several people who had bought the same motorised drive on ebay (contacted them through evay from the feedback secrion) and several replied and said it did the job and they were all happy with it; they also gave me some advice on how to modify it to improve it.

So not too an expensive weekend and it guves me something to look forward to when the post boy brings the post around at work in the week :)

I'll report back.

James

I've looked through it in a dark room and there is a double set of cross hairs, and a box in the middle, all illuminated in red. Exciting! If i can't get my alignmnet correct now i need shooting!

James

You'll need to set the crosshairs quite low so they are faint when viewing the sky. You'll see them easily and the "box" will let you see the target very nicely. :)