• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

anyone using full version of APT imaging software

red dwalf

hi all,

downloaded the free version of APT imaging software and have used it once, but noticed the telescope connect button, it doesn`t work on the free version but i was wondering how does it control the mount ?

would i still need eqmod or does the APT software do the same thing in effect.

it says it`s ascom compliant.

would i need any other cables or could i use the hitec astro eqmod usb adapter ?

would be very handy to have it all in the same software package, as when using it the other night i have stellarium and eqmod going, plus the APT software and was trying to get Phd guiding to work also.

laptop started to stuggle alittle.

Guest Kheldar

I tend to stick with CDC for pointing, I think APT can slew to a known target (it has a list of some) and maybe can slew to a given coordinate ...

Still needs ASCOM/EQMOD

There isn't a reasonable all in one solution yet I feel - you're into Maxim territory.

Current load out is CDC/APT/PHD ... works for now. I'm trying (still) to get to Maxim levels and that can be the only piece of software I use ... but it's not friendly.

Thanks for the reply Steve,

Does cdc work faster than stellarium ?

Haven't tried cdc before,

Would you say it's not worth buying the full version of Apt, if using the program with cdc ?

Guest Kheldar
Thanks for the reply Steve,

Does cdc work faster than stellarium ?

Haven't tried cdc before,

Would you say it's not worth buying the full version of Apt, if using the program with cdc ?

CDC is much faster and is a better piece of software IMHO

APT offers a lot of goodies in the full version, your call really :)

I also prefer CDC

I have just upgraded to the latest version as was going to try the ccd cam with it but cam needs new usb socket

It's a great piece of software.

2.10 has 'Bahtinov aid' - mask spike analyser. Also the framing mask now works in LV.

For me it's the perfect platform for camera control and focusing.

Rob, the mount control works perfectly. I just prefer to use CdC for target selection.

Regards.

Thanks guys for the help,

Do I need any other cables for apt to control the scope, mount, or would the hitec astro eqmod adapter work ok,

Not really into computers or software operations so I need lots of help l.o.l.

No other cables required. EQMOD Adaptor for mount and single USB for camera. APT will AF a lens remotely too  :D

I would recommend this for extended periods of use.

Regards.

Sorry to jump in on this thread, Does CDC need anything else?

ie. can I ditch stellarium and stellariumscope and just install CDC?

You can Andy, should hopefully work allittle quicker, although I do prefer the look of stellarium to cdc,

I've download cdc but I've not had chance to use if connected to the scope yet.

CDC isn't as good on graphics or as smooth. And I dislike the labelling system. But it does play better with skywatcher scopes ;)