• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Accidental but life changing...

Craig

Ok, whats the catch?

Like Craig has pointed out, if this does not change lives, what are we doing wrong?

Why have we not heard about this?

Why has it not been incorporated into technology today like he says,mobile phones, lap tops, Ipads, cars etc etc.

A 30 second / 60 second charge and your IPhone is done, 100%.

Now I am not one for conspiricy theories, BP, E-On, whoever, hushing this sort of tech up but there has to be something that has stopped this from being put into construction.

I will not hold my breath.

:(

They only discovered graphene a few years ago and only recently been able to find ways of making it in reasonable volume. With the rush of patents being taken out. This will soon find real world applications but it always takes a few years to break through and make it out of the lab

I'm with Daz, BP etc have kept us in the dark over the years with regards to new and renewable power sources, it's in their interest to!! But I hope this product see's the light of day and we can all benefit, it's about time!!

Interesting. Storage of energy is a hot topic at the moment. In particular storing energy from Renewable energy sources to make it available when the wind isn't blowing/ tide turning/ sun shining etc. Where you can pump water up hill you have a mechanism, but not so good in Norfolk! They are now looking as compressing and liquefying air and then uncompressing it when required, but efficiency rates are relatively low at the moment. But it will be big business.

So maybe banks of carbon-based Super Capacitors could be an option, maybe on a small local scale for micro-generation projects.

The world is going to look a little different in the future....

I don't buy into the conspiracy theories, they're nothing more than speculation with not a single thread of evidence to support them.

In order for BP, Shell, or any of the energy companies that exist, to be able to hold back technology like this they would have to either:

1. Exert enough influence over the scientific communities to prevent them from publishing their work (unlikely)
    or
  2. Have discovered and patented the technology themselves, without anybody noticing (even more unlikely)

It just does not add up.

In fact, considering the ramifications of such a technology in the modern world any single company that did discover this, whether they were an oil company or not, would be nuts not to progress the technology. The value of the royalties for licencing the patents alone would more than justify it's publication and release, and it would virtually cripple their competitors overnight. In this instance, capitalism would work for the consumer, not against them.

And contrary to what the media would have you believe, energy companies are not all full of evil blood sucking millionaires...

Ohh I agree Craig and I never said anything of the sort.

My only queries is, why have we not heard about it, charging an IPhone in 30 seconds would be hugh considering the amount of mobile devices out there.

Surely Apple, RIm, Sony, etc etc should be bunging this into the their products...

I don't buy into conspiracy theories either, it's like the one going around the CIA invented HIV, complete nonsense.

But why have we not heard / seen anything about it?

Could it be down to cost of producing this on a massive scale?

Ohh I agree Craig and I never said anything of the sort.

I know you didn't, it was more of a general comment on the theme. :)

I agree with Craig.

Though actually, it would be very nice if the oil companies and russian oligarchs were buying up and stockpiling all manner of inventions, cold fusion, anti-gravity generators and free energy machines etc. that would get us out of a hole when everything else runs out. But sadly I think it all has to be developed through hard science.

So maybe it is down to Mr. Cox to help promote the science as per the other thread...

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/4056-brian-cox-making-britain-the-best-place-in-the-world-to-do-science/