• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hyperion Zoom

Guest CodnorPaul

Guest CodnorPaul

My Hyperion Zoom is not parfocal but I believe they should be - I am sure it was when I got it, but now it goes out of focus when moving through the zoom.  Has anyone got any idea?  The bottom ring is loose so it spins - is this correct?

If it is the mkIII then the websites says it is but it isn't (dont know how they get away with that)

I have allways had to re-focus once adjusting the mag.

I know a few people in the past have said the same thing, that the sites say it is parfocal but it isn't.

Either that or mine has been broke from new - lol.

Guest Ely Ellis

Hi,

That is one of the things that lets it down.

It is FAR from para-focal. Although the first few stops from 24mm are OK, when down to 8mm it is a long way out.

For this reason, I am starting to prefer individual EP's, as most of the ones I have, I can just drop in with virtually no re-focus.

Nothing wrong with the optics though, just not as convenient as I hoped.

Cheers

Martin

Having used many brands of eyepieces I don't think I've ever seen a true parfocal eyepiece, they all need a little tweaking.