• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Cheap/Cheerful Netbook

catman161

Hi guys, one or the more technologically minded/up to date people.

I was thinking if getting a netbook at some point. I don't want anything fancy/pretty I just (above all) want one that will run sharp cap and registax with a decent battery life and fair sized HDD. I imagine RAM-wise 1-2GB should handle that. It will be just for astro so no other program's will be loaded.

Recommendations would be gratefully received as I have trawled through review sites and found reviews of the same products (in some cases) to be at opposite ends of the scale!

Cheers

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Felix,

Drop me a pm with budget & i'll have a scout round, else you have pretty much defined your netty. Stick to XP or W7... so

Dual core

2Gb Ram

10.1" Screen (std Netbook size)

160 - 500Gb HD

If you are not bothered about refurb have a look here :---- http://www.thelaptopcentre.co.uk/cheap-refurbished-laptops/hp-compaq-mini-110-intel-atom-16ghz-1gb-ram-160gb-hdd-windows-xp-10-screen-wifi-webcam.html?gclid=CNjotc2X0bUCFUvHtAodUiwAag

There are a few on site just picked the HP first, be aware the HP is a mare to upgrade the RAM, (bios needs reflashing)..

Cheers

hi felix,

i bought a little dell netbook which i use, runs on windows 7 has a good battery life and works a treat with eqmod, stellarium and my wireless x box controller, was less than £200 new when i bought it a couple of years ago and is fitted with 1gb of ram.

if your after something reconditioned or alittle cheaper check out morgan computers, they have some very good offers and can fit extra ram and so on if needed.