• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First scope?

Guest Legoman6

Guest Legoman6

Hi I am a new contributor who is looking to purchase a scope and wondered when is there a meet so I could observe and view the sky before parting with with my money.

Hello. Welcome to EMS. The meets we have are generally based on if the weather is playing fair. We've got 2 dark sites, one at belper and one at Wymeswold. Your first visit is free and everyone is always happy to let you look through their scopes (unless they're imaging at the time) so you can get a good feel for what you like.

Keep an eye on the information and announcement section for up coming meets.

Hi, welcome to the forum. :)

Like Tobias has said, check the announcements section frequently (especially at weekends) as meets are often arranged and cancelled last minute due to the weather.

You are defiantly doing the right thing though, try before you buy!

:thumbsup:

Hi Mervyn and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

You'd be very welcome to join us at one of the dark sites for a session. Keep your eyes peeled on the Info and Announcements section (especially at the weekends) for the next EMS Meet. Hope we get to see you soon - meantime enjoy the forum and ask as many questions as you like - someone will be along with an answer presently. :)

I've got a week off and was planning on going to wales anyway!

How much would a polar alignment scope cost?

James

It's got the EQ5 mount and not the HEQ5; less appealing now i think.

James

Getting back to Mervyn's requirements, it depends on what your budget is? What do you want to see, as all scopes are not equal, and do you want to find stuff yourself, or let electronics do the job for you.

If you don't mind finding stuff yourself, this gives you more money to go towards the optics, rather than PCB's and motors.

If you want to see deep sky objects, then you would be better going for the biggest aperture you can afford. Invariably this would point you to a Dobsonian mounted scope.

There are pro's and con's for all scope's and all have their supporters.

The best thing to do would be to get along to the next meeting and have a look at some and try before you buy.

If you can let us know what budget you have, that would help narrow down the idea's.

Guest Legoman6

Hi great advice, even with the slight side tract James. Budget is Up to £500. Answers to My other post is leading me to go down the 8 or 10 inch dob mounted . The price seems to around £270 - £320 mark. Gives me some spare cash. What extras do you suggest , barlows, filters, thermal underwear????

You'd deffinately want some new eyepieces. A few people on here have the baader mkIII Hyperion clickstop zoom 8-24mm. About £180 but quite possibly the only EP you'd ever need.

Hi and welcome to EMS. 8" or 10" dob would be a great starter scope with the warning that there may be a bit of a learning curve. You will need to learn to navigate round the sky and find where objects are yourself but it will be greatly satisfying if you stick with it and a scope like that will show you loads! Good luck and hope to see you at a meet sometime.