• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Poor attempt at mid day sun. 27/02/13

Perkil8r

A very quick play with the solar filter today, only third time I've played with it.

Bit disapointed, the first shot was in focus afterall, but the following 40 weren't, as a result the image is nowhere near as good as it should be, but still Okay I guess.

At least I got to see it for a change!

Looks good to me. Out of interest what filter are you using? I've been thinking about getting a solar filter but don't know what sort of view the different ones will give. Only for visual use.

I use the Baader solar film in a filter I made myself. My only advice is to be VERY careful, if you're not confident that it's 100% right and safe, buy one ready made such as the thousand oaks ones. It really is not worth even the slightest risk.

With the Baader film you can get a bit of granulation showing, coloured filters will help with the contrast for visual in ADDITION to not in place of the solar filter.

Sorry if I sound a little like I'm scare mongering, but really I am not, it is extremely dangerous to look at the sun through a scope even with a filter in place, I always test the filter by holding it up to the sun and looking for any hint of damage. And once on the scope I carefully find the sun by looking at the shadows on the floor then put a piece of paper infront of where ever I am going to look into, be that the eye piece or the camera view finder, this I hope would show anything too bright. Then and only then do I even think about going near the eyepiece. Even then I approach with great care.

The only real safe way IMO is to use a dedicated HA Solar scope, other than that you can only check and recheck again to make sure it's safe.

I'm comparing it to my attempt in June last year:

252652_10150962443863917_218081618_n.jpg

Hence my disapointment.

Edited by Perkil8r

Nice one Mike, still plenty of activity on there, must get my solar filters out sometime, it makes a nice change imaging in daylight when you can actually see what your doing

The june was is on par with some of mine what scope was that with mike ?

Both with the 200p Pat. Just slap the 350d on and hope for the best really.