• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello From Whitwick!

Guest philwileman

Guest philwileman

Hi,

Just a note to introduce myself. I've had a huge interest in astronomy ever since Gerry Anderson's "Fireball XL5" on the TV which makes me a fairly old newbie.

Practically, I own a decent pair of 10x50 binoculars but probably (definitely) need a good push out of the door to use them as I'll readily admit I'm more of an armchair enthusiast than the frozen feet and fingers in the dead of night type.

After recently attending an excellent talk at the Walsall Astronomical Society by Dr Chris North, I've tried to find information about the more local Leicester Astronomical Society but I'm unable to find a working website. Can anyone help?

Phil.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Philip,

Warm welcome to EMS. You will find a link to LAS in the Local Societies, Clubs & Organisations  pages on this forum. Lots of EMS folk around you.

Cheers

Hi Phil,

I'm a member of the LAS and update info from their email trail onto the LAS section here on the EMS - http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/forum/62-leicester-astronomical-society/

Unfortunately the website is in a state of flux as it is being re-done.... but very slowly. I have chased about this but no success so far.

LAS meets every 2 weeks on a Tuesday - 7:30pm at the Leicester Space Centre, with the previous meeting last night.

Let me know if you need to know anything else and I'll try to help out.

Best regards

Steve

Hi Phillip welcome to EMS.

As others have said there's a growing bunch of members from your way and we have a darksite at Wymeswold. Keep a lookout for a thread about a meet there and pop down and introduce yourself.

Hi Phil, a warm welcome to EMS.

As mentioned, it would be nice to bump into you at Wymeswold, and you would be welcome to have a look at the sights through other members scopes. Most folk would be more than happy to show you their kit.

There are some great Bino targets about at the moment, Some nice clusters, icluding my Favourite one M44; the Beehive cluster.

Not forgetting the Pannstars comet, which will be visible, weather permitting from march the 23rd onwards.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Hi Phil and a warm welcome to EMS :)

Enjoy the forum and hope we get to meet you at the next session when the weathers clear again. If you don't like froze toes you'll be glad to know both our dark sites have a fairly warm pavillion with hot snacks and drinks making equipment. :)