• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter from tonight

catman161

Well I was quite excited that I could see any stars so got all set up to takes some avis of jupiter. The conditons were pants! High hazy cloud and the seeing as a result absolutely terrible. I persevered anyway and got the below images. All of them were best 95% of 1500 frames captured with SPC900NC with IR/UV filter in sharpcap, processed with registax 5.1. 200P and 2x Powermate. Not great results but hey, we must get what we can!

Edited by catman161

Now you're just showing off - those are really good considering the conditions - lol :)

Just realised you got two or three moons in there too - fabulous :)

Nice set Felix your really churning them out now

Sometimes the conditions look pants with high mist and murk but in actual fact its frequently good for planetary because the atmospherics are still giving good stable conditions, some of my most memorable visual planetary observing has been on nights like that. However, still feeling off so I havent even looked through the curtains to see what its doing outside tonight

Ha ha! Thanks Kim :) Yeah I did the Avis first then and hour and half of visual using (mostly) the ethos. All 4 moons were on display with Jupiter tonight but I couldn't get the 4th in frame with the power mate in and without it the disc just seemed very small.

Thanks Phil, I agree visually tonight for Jupiter it was quite nice through the 13mm ethos with the 2 x powermate and not too "bubbly" despite the high haze. Other targets though didn't fair too well-like NGC457 and M31 also the auriga clusters seemed a little washed out.On the webcam though it was hard to focus, so I was fairly pleased with the pics but admittedly I thought I might get a little better, but I'm still learning. Am looking forward to a nice clear night with good seeing to see what kind of images I can get with the webcam. Webcamming is quite fun and quick to grab the Avis leaving me time to do visual still after :)

Edited by catman161

Nice one Felix, your just adding extra ammo against you that you are, in fact, an astro photographer, just admit it!

;):P

Nice set of very well focused images.

I find the amospherics are pants 75% of the time when imaging planets.

Cheers Andy, I am still never sure how they will turn out as I focus by eye and hand with the lacerta micro focuser adapter on the original stock focuser that came with the 200P. Recently since using the webcam I have been looking at the low profile focuser longingly :)

The conditons were pants! High hazy cloud and the seeing as a result absolutely terrible. Not great results but hey, we must get what we can!

Brilliant, I just don't know how you do it Felix. And I thought you were only just starting out on that steep dark side learning curve. Must be a quick climber :) .

Thanks pete :) I just literally follow the instructions on a video Dion made in astronomy shed! Lol! No talent from me-All i do is just ensure the target is in view, focus and hit capture!

Cheers Andy, I am still never sure how they will turn out as I focus by eye and hand with the lacerta micro focuser adapter on the original stock focuser that came with the 200P. Recently since using the webcam I have been looking at the low profile focuser longingly :)

Cheaper optoin is to fit a Skywatcher motor focuser.

Eliminates scope-shake and they work really well.