• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Thinking of buying a new scope

Guest GentleChaos

Guest GentleChaos

Ok so i have an old 70mm refractor that ive had for years, currently gathering dust in the attic, so im looking for a new scope.

Practicality is my primary focus since i have a car boot the size of a shoe box :P

Im looking for a cassegrain parhaps a 127mm or a 150mm, now im not sure if the 127 will serve me well or if i would be better saving up a little longer and getting a 150, if anyone can give me an idea of the quality of the images of both these scopes it would be very very helpful, i don't know if the difference is considerable or not, having only ever used my 70mm refractor im not sure what to expect from either of these scopes.

I would like to add astronomy is important for me, im an INTP with the same personality as Albert Einstein, so you could say my love for the universe is deep, this is not a spare of the moment thing it is something i wish to direct more of my life to in the near future.

Thanks in advance :)

I'm going to set my skywatcher 127 in half an hour in the back garden if its still clear to see if i have solved my alignment issues! If you are near west bridgford you are welcome to come over, but i am on call for work so might have to dash off!

James

I am too, i wasn't planning a late one. But another time.

As everyone else will say, i think getting first hand experience of looking through various scopes is the important thing to do. The 150mm version of my scope is more than twice the cost of the 127mm one, and again someone will be able to work out how much more light it lets in.

Good luck.

James

Guest GentleChaos

Yeah i know nothing really beats first hand experience, i've just been so busy of late not really had the time to get out, i will be looking out for a meet at the belper site since its only a 5 min drive from my house, as much as anything i want to get more involved in astronomy for the opportunity to meet some like minded people, having to deal with people so focused on there social lifes everyday its about time i met some folks interested in the wider aspects of reality.

Cheers mate!

Well i just had a lovely shower, got hundreds of layers on, started setting up then looked over my shoulder and saw thick blankets of cloud rolling in!

Back in doors now, an an enormous pile of clothes on the stairs and one hot and frustrated amateur on the sofa watching flog it. Hhaha.

Such is life. All i need now is for work to call!

James

Edited by dawson