• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Limiting magnitude

Tweedledee

Somewhere online (can't remember where), I found the following and copied it for future reference. Others might also find it useful.

Here are two methods to find the limiting magnitude of your binoculars or telescope on a particular night.

Count the number of stars visible, bounded by, but not including the 4 main stars forming the pan of the Pleiades cluster.

No. of |  Limiting

stars  |  Mag.

6 = 9.0

7 = 9.5

9 = 10.0

12 = 10.5

15 = 11.0

18 = 11.5

22 = 12.0

25 = 12.5

31 = 13.0

Also...

Count the number of stars visible, bounded by, but not including the 4 main stars forming the Delphinus diamond.

No. of |  Limiting

stars  |  Mag.

6 = 8.5

9 = 9.0

14 = 9.5

24 = 10.0

38 = 10.5

Just need one that will be useable in spring time now.

I might have to work one out myself.

Nice one thanks Pete. Forecast is good or Monday so I will do the Pleiades test and let you know exactly how little I can see from my yard ;)

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds a good idea but remember that this applies to point sources, such as stars. For galaxies and other extended objects, the limiting magnitude is usually about 2 less.