• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I'm a Newbie

Guest TOXICSOCKS

Guest TOXICSOCKS

Hi there from sunny Swadlincote. Just a quick intro to myself. I have been interested in astronomy since I can remember,possibly around the age of 5. The stars have always fascinated me. I have owned several telescopes in the past but currently own a skywatcher 200p. I just love this scope great value for money.

I have wrote to some great astronomers Patrick Moore, Heather Cooper and the great Carl Sagan. I have visited Jodrell Bank, Leicester space center, and have been to NASA twice ( Florida).

One of my most memorable moments was when my son looked at Jupiter through a telescope for the 1st time, "WOW " and "WICKED" where his remarks..

Anyway enough waffle from me for now, I will hope to have some input into some of the discussions that appear.

TOXICSOCKS

Edited by TOXICSOCKS

Hi Scott, a warm welcome to EMS.

The 200P is a belting scope, and will show you a lot of great objects. If you feel like Modding it to make it better to use there are some great jobs that have been carried out by a few members.

We have two darksites, one at Belper, and one at Wymeswold. You would be very welcome to bring your scope along and see if it's for you. The first visit is free, and then it's a bargain price of twenty pounds a year. This is to cover the rent and insurance.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.Stick them up in a thread in the beginners section, and they will be answered as soon as possible.

In the meantime, enjoy the forum. :)

Hi Scott and a warm welcome to EMS. :)

As Martyn says you'd be most welcome to join us for a session on the next clear night. You'll find the group very welcoming and friendly and you're guaranteed an enjoyable time. Looking forward to meeting you - meantime do enjoy the forum. :)

Hi Scott welcome to EMS look like you have the same Mount and scope as me :lol:

Guest TOXICSOCKS

Hi there Allan, it seems that we do have the same scope. How are you getting on with yours? Have you brought any more eyepieces? I'm thinking of purchasing the BST 8 mm wide angled eyepiece, it gets good reviews? I think I'm will be out with scope tonight (Saturday), if it says clear

Hi Scott. Not sure how far it is for you but there is a meet at belper tonight. You'd be most welcome to come along.

Guest AstroOlly

Hi Scott,

I am only down the road just past Twycross, welcome to the forum, i have not long since joined and they are a freindly lot

Olly

Guest AstroOlly

Hi there from sunny Swadlincote. Just a quick intro to myself. I have been interested in astronomy since I can remember,possibly around the age of 5. The stars have always fascinated me. I have owned several telescopes in the past but currently own a skywatcher 200p. I just love this scope great value for money.

I have wrote to some great astronomers Patrick Moore, Heather Cooper and the great Carl Sagan. I have visited Jodrell Bank, Leicester space center, and have been to NASA twice ( Florida).

One of my most memorable moments was when my son looked at Jupiter through a telescope for the 1st time, "WOW " and "WICKED" where his remarks..

Anyway enough waffle from me for now, I will hope to have some input into some of the discussions that appear.

TOXICSOCKS

I have visited all those places too, and was there in Florida for the last shuttle launch April 2011....waiting patiently....and then it was announced....postponed for a week

Well £300 down the drain for the tickets, but we knew it could happen, in fact it was postponed several times in the forthcoming weeks, but was still worth it, had a great day around Kenedy space centre.

Olly

Welcome, Scott, from another newbie just up the road (plus my office is in Swad)

Alan

Hi there Allan, it seems that we do have the same scope. How are you getting on with yours? Have you brought any more eyepieces? I'm thinking of purchasing the BST 8 mm wide angled eyepiece, it gets good reviews? I think I'm will be out with scope tonight (Saturday), if it says clear

Sorry Scott missed your post :blush:

Having a few issues but  have had a lot of help from a few guys at EMS :lol: