• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Forecast good

dawson

Why is it the very few times I've ever invited on a night out, it happens to be the only night there is likely to be a clear sky!

Typical :(

James

I've got to an age when a clear night is more appealing than a night out nowdays :facepalm:.

I guess kicking off with 2ltrs of wine at 6pm then jumping in to a taxi down Notts has taken its toll over the years.

Paul

Paul

I am at that age too; I think I was at that age some years ago to be honest. But it's a friends birthday and I said I'd go two weeks ago. I think various people have already pulled out so I'd feel pretty rotten leaving him in the lurch even more. I thought about not having a drink and then getting my scope out when I got home, but if it was cloudy when I got back I'd have had two rotten nights rolled into one.

I've come to the conclusion I should throw myself into the night out and then just keep my fingers crossed there are some good nights in the coming week / next weekend.

James

Guest Turtleboy

I'm in a similar position. We've got friends coming over tonight, but I'm going to set up in the back garden and keep nipping off to the erm.......toilet. :D

Show'em Jupiter and Orion Martin, that way you can spend more time in the garden!!  :lol:  :lol:

What's the post code, i'll get a taxi over about 3am when i'm thrown out of town :)

Guest Turtleboy

No longer a problem. A thick blanket of cloud has just rolled in after being clear all day. That's that then. :(

Edited by Turtleboy

Did anyone manage to get any observing done? I saw a lovely nebulae image in the gallery.

James

Hi James

As predicted, I didn’t hit the town but did finish on a glass of Rum to warm up.

I had setup early in the afternoon anticipating a clear night and I wasn’t let down.

Had an enjoyable evening looking at Jupiter and the Seven Sisters.

I could easily see the SEB & NEB and could also see the STB & NTB.

With a long hard look I could see a break in the banding in the South which looked like a swirl.
I think (hoping it was) the GRS but could not detect any spot or colouring.

I might check out buying a filter but not sure which Blue

to go for.

Paul

Paul

sounds like you had a good night, and you probably felt less rough that I did this morning :)

James

82A works well for band detail. Borrow mine and see what you think before you buy one Paul.