• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DLSR on mount

dawson

Is there a cheap way to attach a camera directly onto a mount via the dovetail slot? I've seen one on ebay for £30 but wonder if there is a cheaper option.

Thanks.

James

Guest Kheldar
I mount mine with a small dovetail with the correct size bolt through it into the bottom of the camera. Less than £10

Edit: Just over a tenner new http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetail-bars/skywatcher-dovetail-mounting-plates.html I got mine with something so mine wasn't new

I'd recommend the medium if you're going that route, the small dovetail is really random (it's not the right shape for starters!)

How for it attach to yours eddy?

How for it as attach? Huh

Dunno what the holes are, I just drilled one out and put some inner tube on top to give better grip to the camera

Will the medium one come with a screw that screws through it into the bottom of the camerA?

Are all dovetails the same size and angle?

Do people just rotate the camera on the dovetail attachment, or add some kind of L-shaped bracket so the camera is in a more conventional orientation when the mount is pointing at the horizon?

James

Guest Kheldar
Will the medium one come with a screw that screws through it into the bottom of the camerA?

Are all dovetails the same size and angle?

Do people just rotate the camera on the dovetail attachment, or add some kind of L-shaped bracket so the camera is in a more conventional orientation when the mount is pointing at the horizon?

James

No bolt will be supplied, that's why I referred you to the photo dovetails

Angle and size yes (apart from the small) length is what differs

Why would you want to point at the horizon? You ideally want it mounted in parallel with your RA axis for astro work?!

Guest Kheldar
How for it as attach? Huh

Dunno what the holes are, I just drilled one out and put some inner tube on top to give better grip to the camera

If you have a small dovetail As you linked to, it's not a Synta fit? I wanted to know how you attached it to the mount

So as I said, the hole is the wrong size on those if you had to drill it out?

It fits on the cg5 fine, middle bit is same width as other dovetails as far as I'm aware and fits perfect with the locking safety bolt too into the side

Guest Kheldar
It fits on the cg5 fine, middle bit is same width as other dovetails as far as I'm aware and fits perfect with the locking safety bolt too into the side

I disagree but each to their own - it's a square peg in a Synta style hole so far as I can see so will only be gripped to the minimum extent?

Not really, think bern at modern astronomy might sell a photo dovetail a little cheaper ..

i  have that weird concoction i used at Kelling?

SHeila

Guest Kheldar
Not really, think bern at modern astronomy might sell a photo dovetail a little cheaper ..

i have that weird concoction i used at Kelling?

SHeila

Honestly can't remember what you used :)

My current mount is an alt-az.

I've got a dovetail bar which screws onto the bottom of my camera and connects into my standard camera tripod, bit it's a different size to the female dovetail connection on my mount.

If i kept any dovetail bar parallel to the body of the camera (as i do with my camera tripod) the camera would point directly upwards; I could rotate it 90 degrees towards the horizon but it would only be portrait orientation. Would be easier with an equatorial mount.

Thanks

James

Ah Alt Az mount....sorry dont know how you image with that  :o  was always told it had to be EQ mount.  I am sure

someone will be along to advise.  I had one made up to fit in the EQ5 mount....works but does not look very pretty :(

Sheila

Thank you all. £20 seems to be about the price then.

Someone has kindly offered to sell me one off here too.

James

You can also get an SW "L" shaped dovetail bar to mount the camera directly to the mount - just like the one that comes with the AZ4 :)

http://www.telescopehouse.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.telescopehouse.com%2facatalog%2fTelescope_House_Accessories.htm&WD=dovetail&PN=Orion-Dovetail-L-Bracket.html%23a05052#a05052