• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sat 03 March : My best view yet of Jupiters GRS

Bino-viewer

Finally a nice clear night, when i'm not out at work !

My last observing session ( with a telescope ) was Dec 9th, so this was long overdue. At least winter seems to be over  :)

Here's a quick report of tonights session........

I set up the William Optics (FLT132) refractor in 'alt-az' mode at 19:30hrs, in my mega light polluted backyard, with the intention of a couple of hours

observing of 'the usual suspects' before it got too chilly  :brr: Despite the clear sky though, it didn't seem particularly transparent.

I was also giving a new eyepiece : a Televue Panoptic 19mm its first light, and was looking forward to trying it out.

I started with the Pleiades star cluster using my Nag 31mm. Lovely view with the entire cluster filling the field. Across to nearby Jupiter, and a first look through the 19mm Pan. Everything looked nice and sharp & crisp. The eyepiece felt comfortable, with good eye relief.    The 4 moons were well spread out, two on each side. Callisto in particular was quite a way out.

But wait.....right in the middle of the SEB was the great red spot ! Unmistakable even at only 48x magnification using the 19mm pan.

My 5mm Vixen LVW gave a lovely view  at 185x. The seeing seemed quite good, but maybe it was Jupiters high position in the sky.

I tried various eyepiece combinations to see it at it's best : the 19mm Pan + Powermate x2 (97x)  The 3.5mm LVW (264x)  The 5mm LVW + Powermate 

(370x) before i settled with my 8mm LVW + Powermate (231x) 

This combo at 231x seemed just right, and i must have spent a good 20 mins enjoying the view.

Without a doubt, its my best ever view of the GRS yet. One to remember for sure  :D

I returned to Jupiter an hour later, and it was noticeable how much the GRS had moved in that time.

I was also very impressed with the performance of my Televue Powermate. Well worth the investment, and beautifully made.

Other targets were the Double cluster, M35, and also M36, 37 & 38 in Auriga, all using the fabulous N31.

I also had a go at some doubles : Mizar, Castor, then a look at the M42 trapezium. The 4 main stars were easy to see, 

but....no matter how hard i try......i've never got close to detecting the E (or F) components  :( A 5" scope is a 5" scope, i guess....

I'm pleased with the 19mm Pan : the next time it comes out though, it won't be in 'Cyclops' mode, but will be joined by its twin when my bino-viewer

finally arrives. ( Its now 5 weeks and counting  :( )

All for now, clear skys...... ;)

Edited by Bino-viewer

Good report, views that good of Jupiter can be rare this time of year, nice to see the GRS though!   :)

I'd not seen it so easily before as last night. Maybe i got lucky. It was very obvious.

Its probably not been so well placed all the other times i've observed Jupiter (and i've looked at it a lot)

Next on my bagging list is a shadow transit. Not seen one of those yet either. I just need to get out more with the scope.....If its clear again tonight, i'll be out again  :thumbsup:

Very nice report Rob. Just wish I could have been there, sounds like the sky was really good.