• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Belper Saturday 2nd.

T A WOW

For the first time this year I got to take my new scope up to our belper dark site.

I was unusually the first to arrive at about 5:45 just as the sun was setting, so I got my scope set up, collimated it and got my EP's and bits out into my cars boot for easy access.

At about 6:00 philjay and ryall arrived at the same time and went about setting up their 8" and 12"Dobs.

Whilst we were waiting for our scopes to cool and for it to get dark I was having a chat with phil about refractors and he gave me lots of good advice and knowledge about them. We briefly discussed my tripod which phil did say it looked lovely. :)

As darkness settled in my first target to view (as always) was Jupiter. I first off stuck in my 5mm Hyperion, giving 240x mag which I think was a bit to much as my scope hadn't properly cooled. So I stuck in my 8mm Hyperion giving 150x mag which gave a much more pleasing view, but still a bit fuzzy.

Next up I decided to try a look at M42. I started with the 8mm hype, and was absolutely amazed. I'd never seen so much detail in that other than in pictures. It really goes to show what dark skies do for observing.

I also had a peek through Ryalls 12" dob at M42 and I think he had a UHC filter or some such in his scope and the view in that was just mind boggling! Ryall also lent me his OIII filter :) for a quick look at at M42 in my scope, which brought out a lot more of the gas cloud but significantly dimmed down the stars, so I'm not sure which view I preferred.

As it was now quite dark in the north west (I think) I thought I'd have a crack at finding another of my favourites M31. After being a bit confused about the orientation of the sky philjay pointed out to me where it should be and to my surprise I found it on my first try :) in the view using my 31mm aspheric Hyperion 39x mag the great galaxy looked nice and phill even pointed out to me that (I think) M32 was also visible. I'd never seen that before so that was a nice surprise thanks phil.

Next up, my absolute fav, the double cluster. Keeping in the 31mm hype I eventually managed to find it. (more luck than skill) the view was most pleasing, so many stars. Again phil with his knowledge pointed out a good way for me to find this in the future.

Soon after kheldar and sheila arrived and started to set up Stephens lovely pink :lol: imaging rig.

During this time philjay was showing me a few more things I'd never seen before. M35 was a nice view In my 31mm hype and phil told me the location of a few other things around there, but I forgot which :facepalm:

Through out the rest of the night I was just flicking through all the above objects, trying different mags on them. I managed to spot the E and F parts to the trapezium in M42, surprisingly again thanks to phil for pointing them out to me. A few more people arrive after Stephen and Sheila, but me being useless with names I forget who (sorry) Stephen talked to me a bit about imaging and I quickly got confused :lol: he and Sheila did get a lovely picture of something or other in Orion which from 1 10min sub was amazing. I'm sure he'll post his results soon enough.

At about 10pm my feet decided that they'd had enough time as playing iceberg as they could take so I reluctantly packed my kit up and after saying my good byes I went home back to my light polluted house, staggered by the complete lack of stars visible.

I had a fantastic night and what I really consider first light for my new set up. A few things I've learned, I need some warmer socks, my finder scope is really quite rubbish, and phil should write a book or something. (he knows so much). Oh and that I should try and see M42 using a H beta filter

TL/DR

Regards

Tobias.

Edit: Phil also let my try and use his binoviewer in my scope but no matter what we couldn't achieve focus :( so I'll have to look into (no pun intended) how to get around that.

Edited by T A WOW

Awesome report Toby. I am mega jealous that I couldn't come last night as I had friends over. Sounds like a fantastic night.

Good report mate, show's what a dark sky site can do! Glad you enjoyed it and have now thawed out!  :D

Nice report Tobias it was indeed a good night, if you dont mind I shall add my bit ( I posted it in the meetings bit but its just as approptiate here)

There were only 8 of us, moi, Ryal, Tobias, Stephen, Sheila, Kev, Angela and Angus, but we were rewarded with good skies, a few patches came over but soon dissipated.

Dobs were the order of the night except Stephen with his astro pink GT81 having a go at the Horsehead and Flame in Ha, subs were looking exceptional so get the end result on posted in the gallery so we can all see mate :)

Only a slight wind gave good views of Jupiter and the GRS started to come round into view at about 19:00

I gave the EMS Scope (200p on dob base) an outing and it gave a good account of itself and folks were spotting objects nicely in all scopes

M1, M35 plus IC2158 (there I remembered the number eventually), M42, Algieba, Double Cluster, M31 with 32. M36, 37 & 38.

Angus showed me a Messier I had never been able to get from my garden, M93 in Puppis, very low in the south but a good sight in this scope showed a definite W shape to my eyes.

Ryall bagged the Iota Orionis system, a lovely sight and Kev and Angela were happily ticking Leo galaxies off there list.

A really good few hours (I chickened out at about 22:30, yes a lightweight I know :) ) but others stayed on to make the best of the night

It was nice to meet folks again and see a couple of new silhouettes ( I would say new faces but in the dark you only see shapes), heres to the next one

Sounds like I missed a good night.

I will have to have a look for M93 with the W. I have never seen that one, it is usually too low.