• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Horsehead (New rig test 2)

Guest Kheldar

Guest Kheldar

I didn't actually set out to capture anything on Saturday night, but peer pressure has won over and here's the results of what I got.

4x600s Ha - it's noisy, but I've got an interference problem i think as each individual sub is speckled with strange noise ... going to have to break that loom down :(

I've also got an EXPLETIVE Maxim/SX problem but I'm investigating that with the Yahoo group so hopefully a solution will present itself. Crashing randomly is not my idea of a good imaging session :(

Also have a nice halo on Alnitak - any experts I'd welcome your opinion on whether that's acceptable / expected from a Baader 8nm filter?

Quick process, so if you want to play the FIT is here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/4qf0pc71ghxi77t/horsehead.fit?m

In case that doesn't work for you, I've uploaded a TIF too - https://www.dropbox.com/s/10c3ljkfyszg40q/horsehead.tif?m

35ba234b-26fe-4d14-822a-a147ca76636a.jpg

Edited by Kheldar

Very nice Stephen, well done! Love the ethereal look of this-fantastic :)

In mono it does look ethereal, and has a very different look to the full colour processed ones we have been used to.

It takes me back to some of the photos I used to be fascinated with as a child. They all used to be black and white back then, hundreds of years ago :lol: . It actually looks like it has come out of something like the old Flammarion Book of Astronomy on a plate from the 100" Mount Wilson telescope.

Very nice and different.

I really like it, the Horsehead and the Flame have both come out really well. Even with the issues that you have mentioned, it`s a lovely pic.

That is a bit surreal Stephen.

Almost ghostly in appearance.

I do like that. :thumbsup: 

Excellent, tons of data and great detail in the horse and curtain nebulosity.I see the reason for your 1st explative last night, the flame is superb

Nice capture.

Could the Halo round Alnitak be caused by internal reflections?

The Halo isn't concentric either so could the ccd be off square?

Guest Kheldar

Why did I just know you would flip it round :P How did you calm Alnitak down?

Nice capture.

Could the Halo round Alnitak be caused by internal reflections?

The Halo isn't concentric either so could the ccd be off square?

I'm not convinced it's a reflection, but I stand to be proved wrong - I think it's just a halo as a result of using the NB filter / Alnitak being soooo bright!

As to the off square, it's a definite possibility as I've not collimated the new scope / adapter  / focuser yet, I really need to get round to doing that :blush:

layer mask,still not calmed it so sledgehammer tactic lasso tool and min filter

and it just had to be flipped

Edited by Ibbo

My astronomic type 2 ha filter gives the same type of halos even though they (astronomik) kindly swapped for a non halo filter. Ive come to the conclusion its a by product of the ha plus my lp filter. The halos are also non concentric even though i have checked collimation on my flt 98 and feathertouch focuser / imaging train

Guest Kheldar

My astronomic type 2 ha filter gives the same type of halos even though they (astronomik) kindly swapped for a non halo filter. Ive come to the conclusion its a by product of the ha plus my lp filter. The halos are also non concentric even though i have checked collimation on my flt 98 and feathertouch focuser / imaging train

Cheers Phil, I'm still going to ask for a replacement I think, and will check the collimation. If it comes out no better after both of those, then that's just the way it's meant to be :)

PS SGL project IC405 - it's the Flaming Star Nebula we couldn't remember :lol:

A quick play with your data. I didn't try to control Altinak or whatever it's called, just left it alone. The halo looks a bit harsh edged to be able to layer mask it.