• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Dew trap

dawson

What material can i use to make a temporary dew trap? I've seen some home made foam versions, but can't think where i can get flexible but rigid foam for the job.

Thanks

James

Thank you. I'm out and about with the parents so i'll see if i can fine one.

How does it work?

James

Would a very large lamp shade do if it were 1.5x the diameter of the tube but opened up like a light shade would be.

James

I suppose it would but would look a little strange, especially if it has a frill around the end  :)

Most people use a camping mat and some velcro, just measure up adding an overlap to stick the velcro to.

Guest CodnorPaul

I would wait and get a camping mat - a lampshade would likely have a steel rim which would let air in around the base and therefore reduce the protective effects, plus I have got visions of it catching the wind at times and that would not be great

I asked about the lamp shade as there was the world biggest one for £1.50 in a charity shop today and I bought it, in case you lot said it would do the trick! I've since got a camping mat for £3.25 and using the artistic skills of my mum who was visiting today, we've made an attempt at making one. The mat came with straps already attached so it is pretty ideal. No idea if it works yet. Ive posted  picture of it in my conservatory in my gallery.

James

Todd, what is the problem of it being too long as long as it doesn't droop into the light path?

James

When stuff is covered in dew, EPs etc, is it best to just let them air dry for a few hours before putting them away, or do people just put them away?

James