• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Attenborough NR first observing session with my new scope

Doc

My new scope arrived today and as it sunny I took it down Attenborough. It is a Hawke Endurance ED 85mm with a 20x60 eyepiece.

All I can say is wow, it was boxed so well, so much bubble wrap. The scope is awesome, the lens looks fantastic and the focuser so smooth. The scope cover fits perfectly and oozes quality, all in all well pleased.

The optics are pretty stunning, very bright and as far as I can see sharp right to the edges.

To round of a great day I entered the Tower hide and there was about 5 people already there. Within 10 minutes a crow flew into the reedbed which was about 50 foot from us and flushed out 2 Bitterns, which flew up and then landed on the wire fence which surrounds the reedbed.

They stayed there for 10 minutes basking in the sun before slowly going back into the reedbed, to say it was an awesome sight, doesn't do it justice, two Bitterns which looked male and female as they were slightly different is not something you see everyday.

Apart from that there was a fantastic Kestral hunting over Erewash Fields and a Sparrowhawk which darted accross Clifton Pond in front of me trying to catch something.

Also numerous Goosanders and Goldeneyes on the pond, a few Snipes on Snipe Island and a fantastic looking Water Rail along the edge of the reedbeds.

Has been cold though, they did say today was going to be the warmest this year me thinks not :brr:

Sounds great Mick, and perfect targets as well!! 2 Bitterns and a water Rail is a good days birding! I think Steve and I may be squinting through your scope a few times in Islay :lol:  :lol:

PS: Red Kite and 2 Barn Owls on the way home tonight!!

Edited by Ron Clarke