• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A foggy M82 5th March

philjay

I just had to get a scope out tonight to scratch the itch, knowing that the mist was going to role in I still went out and played.

M82 through the Meade 127EDT at F7.5, no reducer flattener, Atik 314 OSC, one hour of 4 minute subs.Stacked in Images Plus, processed in PS7

The max I could get was 4 minutes due to the murk.

By the end of the run the skies were so bad I could only just make out sirius with the naked eye.

Anyrode its given me some practice in imaging and processing

Hi Pat, no reducer/flattener on this image. If Im using the DSLR I use a WO Mk4 but cant get on with it, its big, heavy and a pain to get the distance to sensor set right so dont use it when using teh Atik unless I want a particularly wide field.

Nice image phil, lovely colour. See was not great here with me either but I went out too. Did a few webcam images of Jupiter and also used the deep sky tour button for first time on EQ6 and saw a few new objects my favourite being the christmas tree :)

That looks very detailed, despite the conditions.

You might even want to choose it as PoTM :lol: .

Hi good to know a do not have no probs ,i was thinking about a reducer the other day the flatner is matched and the distance is set it just screws straight on it made by acenssion I only have a modded dslr no fancy ccd yet

Pat

Hi pat, from experience the 127 with a dslr does need a flattener as the edge of field has slight coma, however I can usually get away with just a bit of cropping provided the subject is fairly central

Guest Tweedledum

HI Phil,

That's a nice shot, yesterday all day with fog, cloud at night and fog today! Weather forecast said 13c yeaterday more llike 3-4...

Cheers