• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A Few from tonight

catman161

A few shots of Jupiter from earlier tonight wit the SPC900NC and 2x Powermate and 200P on NEQ6 Pro. ALl are best 95% of 1500 frames stacked in Registax 5.1 and captured with Sharpcap. I'm a litle disaponted wit them if I am honest as the skies looked quite clear but the seeing wasn't great and I had trouble gaining focus tonight.

Thanks rob-as I said, not really happy with them as struggled to get these and not mug detail. Did get the shadow of moon on the disc though.

Don't forget the seeing and the LP Felix - from a dark site on a transparent night those would come out much nearer your expectations. They are great first shots mate. :)

Cheers Kim :) Need to get to wymeswold and setup there for a few Avis. Will need a new NetBook/laptop for there though as my current one lasts less than 1 minute as soon as I unplug it! I power it from outside mains at present.

Yeah that's what I do with mine - via the EHU at star parties and a caravan EHU/mains adaptor at home.

Nice set there Felix. Yep seeing was a bit pants that night, usually a misty night means still atmosphere so good for planets but not so that night, must have been some high level turbulence

Thank Phil. Yeah it didn't look great through the eyepiece that night either actually. I did some visual that night after I pane the laptop away and decided to do the deep sky tour which I hadn't used before. Quite a few objects it slewed too were below all the houses I am surrounded by but I did see a new Messier object (67) and a couple of things that I really like and hadn't seen previously which were the Christmas tree and the Eskimo nebula. Nebula was a little faint but quite obvious in 13mm ethos and the Christmas tree asterism was lovely. From clear dark skies I think they'd look even better.

Cheers pat. Am keen for some really clear conditions and dark skies to see what I can get

They look great.

I'm starting to think I've wasted my SPC900 on my guider.

Do you think I could get a shed full of images to stack using a DSLR ?

From one Leicester lad to another I can appreciate your longing for dark skies. :lol:

I'm hoping to try Wymeswold in the near future... like you I need a power solution. Thinking of putting together a power tank with a leisure battery from Multicell in Broughton Astley. 

(You will get used to me doing things 'on the cheap'  :D )

Lovely felix. I really want to see how you process your AVIs to see what tips i can pick up.

Astrocookie, i'm sure your dslr will work fine. I did my first jupiter image with a video off my canon 600d and my 127mm mak scope on an alt-az mount (with then crappy tracking), so i'm sure you'd get some good results with your set up. I had to convert the file to an avi with some freeware i downloaded before putting it theough registax. I recommended this file conversion freeware to a friend who since downloaded it and it crashed their laptop, so be careful about that step!

James

Nice captures Felix, as said the seeing is poor most of the time, when you get a rare good night you will see the difference when you're capturing the AVI's.

Cheers Kim :) Need to get to wymeswold and setup there for a few Avis. Will need a new NetBook/laptop for there though as my current one lasts less than 1 minute as soon as I unplug it! I power it from outside mains at present.

One of these might help you out - http://www.amazon.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-ADAPTER-CHARGER-Compatible-Sattelite/dp/B002KD5F32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362649050&sr=8-1

Thanks fir the link to the power adaptor Andy but I have one already and it drains the 65a/H battery in no time so I have to either get another big battery from somewhere or go for more portability and battery power of a NetBook.

Felix, have you tried just getting. New non-generic battery off ebay? I did that with my old laptop and i got battery life improved from abouts 5 minutes to about 45 mins for £20 or so. Allowed me to use that laptop for another year or so before i changed it.

James

Hey James, no I have not done that as I am gonna get a dedicated astro NetBook anyway. I have been looking at the options and will get something at some point.

check this out if your in the market for a netbook Felix,

http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/product_detail/13818/Asus-EEEPC-10-1-Dual-Core-1-6GHz-Netbook-1GB-320GB-Windows-7-Starter-1015PX-BLK126S/

there`s also 10% off this price if you type in ASUS in the promo code box on checkout.

highly tempted myself, i`ve been borrowing my daughters DELL netbook which controls the mount with eqmod and works a treat, but the ASUS has an 11 hour battery pack