• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Trying to get a grip of the new camera!

andyboy1970

M51_24mins_8subs_zpsc970b33f.png

8x 3minute subs and 8 darks. DSS struggled to stack.

SW200p, ATIK 16ic & QHY IR filter

Finderguided with QHY5

M51_30mins_10subs_zps666dd7d2.png

10x 3 minute subs and 9 darks.

SW200p, ATIK 16ic & QHY IR filter

Finderguided with QHY5

ATIK don't bother telling you what the Bayer matrix is so the top one is just a Generic RGGB,  after searching the datasheet for the CCD chip it should be  GBRG so that is what was used on the lower image.

Still finding focusing a sod but it was very misty last night.

Oh yeh, its M51 in case you didn't know.

Edited by andyboy1970

DSS will struggle to stack as focus is out so stars appear to have dark centres, see the 2 at top-left second image.

It needs to find at least 8 good stars to stack otherwise it throws the data out.

At least you found M51 though, I spent 2 hours looking for it at SGL6, ask Red Dwalf and Ibbo,they were there.

M51_redo_zpsdd837607.png

Bit of a make-over, I think its much improved.

Still forgot to flip it horizontally, curse of the ATIK's....

DSS will struggle to stack as focus is out so stars appear to have dark centres, see the 2 at top-left second image.

It needs to find at least 8 good stars to stack otherwise it throws the data out.

At least you found M51 though, I spent 2 hours looking for it at SGL6, ask Red Dwalf and Ibbo,they were there.

A bit of searching around highlighted an issue with the Atik16ic and DSS hot pixel removal which causes doughnut stars, they don't get on!

So I de-selected it.

Edited by andyboy1970

i remember that night well, i`ll be hopefully having another go at SGL8 with the dlsr,

M51 is one of my favs

Edited by red dwalf

Here is what I bought the ATIk for-

M51_19Mar2012_64mins_2minsubs_canon05mar

Canon 1000d (64mins in 2 min subs, 19mar2012) + ATIK 16ic (27 mins in 3 min subs 05mar2013) combined, scaled and aligned in PS2

Edited by andyboy1970