• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

First autoguided attempt

Astrocookie

Hi.

Ive made my own showstring auto guider and finally got around to using it in anger a couple of nights ago.

Using phd to guide and DSLR to focus I was all set.

I used the DSLR automation to get 9 subs 60 seconds @ 800 ISO

I then shot 5 darks and 4 flats

I stacked using deep sky stacker.

I chose a simple target : Pleiades

My subs have a very red hue to them and although DSS blackens the sky, I have very little evidence of nebulosity.

I can tease a little out in photoshop but it has a forced feel to it.

The focus looks good and there's no elongation of stars.

Is there somewhere I can post or link my images to for critique?   Ooo. Just saw 'attach files' 

Cheers

Astrocookie

Cheers Philjay.

Why do you think i'm lacking detail???

Do you think the sky glow may be a factor.

I am SE of Leicester and was pointing NW  :unsure:

That's very nice. Love how sharp the stars are. It's a shame most of the much fainter background stars have all but vanished in the stacked image.

How much sharper has the auto guider made it? I'd be interested to see exactly the same images (subs and final stacked image) with and without guiding.

Good work. I'm jealous.

James

Here's my attempt before my homemade guider and DSLR focus software!

Bloated stars (probably focus) and not all round (no guiding) but there are more of them!!!!

Also more nebulosity.

Looking forward to a visit to a darker site but worried about all the kit and setting up.

:o

That's great to compare. I love the sharpness of the guided image, but love the number of stars in the unguided one; sorry!

Thanks. I'm really impressed.

I look forward to seeing what else you can do.

James

Very nice start at guiding - I think I'd experiment with longer subs (and maybe different iso's) see what works best to bring out the nebulosity - and always more of them if weather allows. But I can see the blue trying to get through - it looks like you aren't far off. :)

Thanks all.

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy with what i've got at this stage. I know its a steep learning curve but a very satisfying one.

Really appreciate the feedback..  :D

Part of what I'm interested in is what i can achieve on a budget.

Do any of you do imaging at Wymeswold??

Cheers.

Just looked at where I imaged from and due to conditions noticed the neighbours heating vents in the field of view.

Do you think the heat could affect my images. Didn't notice it when I was imaging.  :facepalm:

Not me (yet) but there's always been 3 or 4 imagers at each meeting since we acquired the site. Would be great to see you there too :)

As soon as a meet date happens that I can go to (I.e where I am not busy) I will be taking my webcam to wymeswold to try and grab some planetary pictures. Need a new NetBook/laptop first though as my current one needs mains power or it just turns off almost instantly!

attachicon.gifPhotoshopped_ISO400.jpgHere's my attempt before my homemade guider and DSLR focus software!

Bloated stars (probably focus) and not all round (no guiding) but there are more of them!!!!

Also more nebulosity.

Looking forward to a visit to a darker site but worried about all the kit and setting up.

:o

What are you worried about?

Set up in the field is just the same as setting up at home (with the exceptions of mains power etc).

If it is the people then don't be, we are all a fantastic bunch and not one of us would let anything happen to other peoples kit.

At EMS1 last year, about 6 people uped and vanished for a day trip, they left all their kit out in the field, the only time I touched anybody else's kit was when it started to rain, then I put it in their tent.

As for set up issues, don't worry, plenty of other people on hand to help you set up / pack away.

Hope that helps to relieve any worries.

That's a great start, is this the homebrew guider that you have built? If it is, it works well.

As Daz mentioned, you would be very welcome to come down either of the dark sites, when the weather plays ball, that is.

If you need help, just ask!

I hope to see you at one of the meets sometime soon. :)

Anyone worried about security issues can come to the dark site with or without their kit just to get a flavour of the group first. They can get their kit out and set up if they feel comfortable doing so - or leave it locked in the car or at home.

First visit is usually a meet and greet session giving folks the chance to look through our scopes, get an intro to astronomy (if total newbies), ask about any worries or issues they may have, and hopefully make some new astro chums.

Main thing is to enjoy the evening and have a fun session :)

Nice first, M45 requires long subs to pull nebulosity out and a modded camera helps a lot.

Hi All.

Hope I didn't give the wrong impression. I'm a member of the LAS and I know astronomers are a great bunch of people.

Security didn't cross my mind!!

i think its a bit like camping. Everyone's in it together and look out for each other.

Just never played away from home before  :lol:

Usually by the time i've set up the clouds have rolled in.  :blink:

I would love to come to the next meet at Wymeswold.

How do I go about finding out when...

Also. Does anyone have a GPS location or map reference as I haven't a clue where it is.

Wouldn't mind checking it out in daylight  :)

I reckon i'm only 30 mins away.

Anyone going to try and get a look at PANSTAARS?

Nice first, M45 requires long subs to pull nebulosity out and a modded camera helps a lot.

Hi AndyBoy (1970)... Do we share a birth year???

Do you have a modded camera. 

Do you mean the IR filter removal and/or the binning mod.

I'm a little 'hmmm' about doing the mods.

I bought the camera for the purpose of astrophotography but started enjoying using it for daytime use too.

Did you do camera mods yourself. I'ld be interested in your experiences doing it.

Cheers

Paul

Yep 1970 was a good year.  ;)

I'm on my second modded camera, I had a 300d and now use a 1000d, I removed the I/R filter on both myself following online guides.

I am an Aircraft avionics engineer so I have experience in electronics. The mods aren't to bad if you are careful and methodical (about 1 hour to do).

I have a Nikon DSLR for daytime use so the Canon is astro only.

If I where you I would upgrade to a 1000d or 450d and mod it, they are so much easier to use than the 300d for astro and better software supported plus faster downloads.

Cheers for the feedback.  :)

Is it possible to replace the IR filter if necessary?

Yes, but I broke both of mine during removal as they are glued down and only about 1.5mm thick, Modernastronomy sell Baader replacement filters.