• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

HEQ 5 Netbook Shelf

red dwalf

been alittle board today and having been out the other night with alot of my equipment in boxes on the patio floor i thought i would try and make a shelf for my netbook which i use to control the mount using EQmod.

unable to post the images here for some reason even though they are less the 1MB,

anyway i`ve but them in my gallery, link here.

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.co.uk/gallery/member/20-red-dwalf/

please leave comments

seems to work fairly well so far, alittle flex in the bracket but it was just something i had lying around in the garage but it more than supports it without sagging

Edited by red dwalf

That is a nifty bit of diy, better than placeing you laptop on the floor.

thats the idea, and it`s out the way, also will be using it with the wireless game controller.

great things these netbooks, small and powerfull enough to run the gear for a long while, there`s one or two on the market at the moment with duel core processor and an 11 hour battery life which is amazing, saving some pennies for that

Edited by red dwalf

Guest Bryndalf

Very Nice. Rob, at the next cricket club meet (If its cloudy) It would be good if we could have a chat about the EQMOD stuff (Maybe give us all a talk :) )

i could try, i must admit i`m terriable at technical gadgets but i do love them, i can certainly show you how i did it using Stellarium and EQ mod

I love diy solutions, I came up with something that clamps onto a tripod leg using a theatrical lantern hook clamp, but it stuck out to far and I was always in danger of knocking the lappy off, yours is gloriously elegant.

An EQ mod talk would be a great idea.

Edited by Rusty Strings

thanks John, i`ll give it a test when i can and more than likely a few adjustments for the mark 2 version,

version 2 of the shelf now available for viewing in my gallery here,

http://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.co.uk/gallery/album/12-robs-photos/page__sortby__idate

made a better sturdier bracket which was a pain to drill with my now blunt drill bits and a nicer bit of wood, now just needs a nice coat of white paint to match the mount and it`s completed

Looks the business Rob.

Not dissing your good work Rob but how about a 15/20mm raised edge around the tray.......just in case someone kicks one of the tripod legs in the dark or if your under the affluence of incohol at a star party ?.

Paul

funny you said that Paul, that was the first thing the wife said when i showed her what i`d been doing for most of the day,

she was even less happy when she noticed i hadn`t done the washing up!

i bought her a dishwasher for the kitchen a few years ago, lovely intigrated unit, but she still wants me to do it by hand, i think she just doesn`t like to see me enjoying myself too much.

Have a word with Mrs RD, and see if she can get hold of one of those plate grips, a sticky plastic sheet that stops a plate sliding around on a table or tray. Then your netbook won't slide off.