• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Shoestring guiding

Astrocookie

Hi

A couple of you asked about my cheap homebrew guiding setup.

I'm new to this lark and quickly learnt how expensive this hobby can be so scoured the interweb for information and parts that I could sneek in without the missus throwing one  :lol:

Most of the bumph is thanks to Guy Webb 

The setup consists of;

SW 50mm finder from astroboot, eyepiece removed, end chopped off and cheap barlow shell fitted.

SPC900 webcam removed from shell, fitted to plastic enclosure with GPIO board and twin usb hub (removed from shell).

Feedback to dual EQ motors via transistor array (used 8 gang array as I also fitted four LED's to the enclosure so I could see the feedback to the motors. Up,Down,Left,Right hard wired to the simple hand controller. (Not necessary but quite satisfying when fully automated there's lots of flashes) 

Software phd with Ascom drivers

Ive also made a lead up for my DSLR , Canon 300D to trigger the shutter via USB/RS232 converter.

This allows DSLR Focus to automate the capture of subs.

Ive only had it running for the first time a couple of night ago but there was something satisfying about sitting in my lounger watching the guider LED's flashing and hearing the shutter automatically clicking every minute.

I reckon all told it probably cost me around £ 80.00 and my original finder from my ED80 which I accidentally damaged the lens from in frustration trying to find focus.

Oh and DSLR focus software which I cant remember what I paid for it.

If there's anyone foolish... I mean dedicated enough to tackle something similar i will gather the information and publish it on my web space, which i'm sure I still have floating in the electronic ether somewhere!!

Cheers.

Astrocookie

Ah Paul - we have to promote you to new forum electronics expert lol. That is all very impressive what you've done there and I can imagine it's very satisfying indeed watching it all work. I wonder if you'd come and speak about it at the next quarterly meeting? ....... :)

I get stage fright (that's why my rock band career failed) but am I correct in thinking you meet in a pub.  :D

My arm may be twisted.

:lol:

Well we can arrange a visit to the pub for sure - but we use the cricket pavilion for quarterly meets. But it's all very informal - see how comfy you feel once you've met the group - doesn't have to be the next one - any quarterly meet is fine.

But I'm sure there will be loads of interest what with the retail cost of guiders and popularity of imaging in the group - an diy is fun. :)

If you let me have the dates and location of the pavilion I would love to come along if the wife lets me have a pass out.

Meetings are a bit "on spec" at the moment Paul due to the weather. Check the Info and Announcements section (EMS Meets board) regularly - especially at the weekends - for where, when, and directions. They can be arranged on the day and/or cancelled up to half an hour before the start time if the weather turns. Unfortunately we can't arrange a pass out with your other half - that bit's down to you lol. :)

(Take a peek at previous meeting threads if you'd like a heads up on the directions - but they will be posted on the day also)

Hi Kim

Do you have a pc and projector. I could rustle up a power point presentation.

Or is that a bit over the top?

I don't know how you guys roll

Yup - we have pc, powerpoint, and projector Paul - we could show that at a quarterly meeting so go for it. :)

(If you could just answer any one to one questions after the show would be great.....)

It's due around the end of March or beginning of April. It will be announced when we have set a date. Hopefully to coincide with a good observing evening - usually on a weekend. Keep an eye on Info and Announcements. :)