• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mega Tripod

stovesy

After heading to Anchor Surplus in Nottingham, I stumbled upon these sturdy looking tripods.

A quick look showed that it was made from Aluminium, seemed to fold nicely, but the mounting top surface would need some metalwork to mount anything on.

Worth a look it you're after a base for a DIY mount.

Oooh thats interesting, Im addicted to places like that must have a look. Thats not a daft price either, alot of these placeshave been watching too much salvage hunters on quest these days and the prices have risen

I'm tempted too Phil.

I've got the Orion on the pier mount, I was wondering about adapting the pier head to fit on this sort of tripod - Height may be an issue, but it's worth another look-see.

Also Phil, I may bombard you with questions regarding the Orion LX200 as I hear you've refurb-ed one..

Yep I used it on Jupiter the other night, mines pre LX range but its basically the same animal an 8" F6, lovely scope for a reflector :D

It certainly looks big enough and has plenty of area on top to design an adapter to mount a EQ5 or 6.

I say buy it for that price.

Dunno - but there were 5 or 6 at the Nottingham Cattle Market store