• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Whats the future for EMS at Anderby Creek?

BAZ

As I was watching the News, this popped up for a brief moment, and I wouldn't have paid any attention if the name Anderby Creek hadn't been mentioned.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-21687588

Although it was originally was rejected, however, RWE still seem hopeful, and it does look like it is being steam rollered through " to meet our green requirements".

http://www.rwe.com/web/cms/en/413708/rwe-innogy/sites/wind-offshore/developing-sites/triton-knoll/the-electrical-system/

This appears to show there will be a large compound close to our current campsite, and for security reasons, presumably well lit.

Here's information relating to the consultation.

http://www.rwe.com/web/cms/mediablob/en/1846404/data/1843224/1/rwe-innogy/sites/wind-offshore/developing-sites/triton-knoll/electrical-system-consultation/Consultation-statement.pdf

I don't know how this will affect us, but Iam not a fan of wind power anyway, based on the large cost of manufacture and maintenance of the turbine's. But also that it is not a reliable form of power generation, if there is no wind, there is no power.

This is a way off yet, and I don't know of the full ramifications of it, but it has got me thinking.

Well that would certainly ruin the site for us, so I guess we'd be looking elsewhere.

Well that would certainly ruin the site for us, so I guess we'd be looking elsewhere.

Do you mean from a turbine point or the well lit sub station?

I don't think the turbine's will be an issue, as from the site I doubt we will see them but the lights could be an issue, depending where they build the sub station.

It's a shame really, as for stargazing, the EMS dark site at Anderby was/is fantastic.

Guest Tweedledum

It looks like that Anderby is the run ashore for the cables, the cables then buried & run to a compound in the east lindsey area.

See here :- http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/sites-shortlisted-Triton-Knoll-offshore-wind-farm/story-18060095-detail/story.html#axzz2MrEKSfjd

Looks like the connection point at Anderby will be purely underground with access via manhole covers.

I'll have a chat with someone in rwe.

Cheers

To be honest there are a number of other suitable sites along the Lincolnshire coast. Anderby Creek is very close to where Dave (Cosmic Dave) lives so was easily found. I am sure if this wind farm goes ahead we would with a little research, find a good alternative.

Shame though as i think everyone would agree, the skies at EMS1 were pretty awesome.

Guest Steve

"I don't know how this will affect us, but I am not a fan of wind power anyway, based on the large cost of manufacture and maintenance of the turbine's. But also that it is not a reliable form of power generation, if there is no wind, there is no power."

I like wind turbines - they are the future!

• New turbines are bigger, better designed and more efficient than older ones and they are looking at making the generators super conducting which will massively improve efficiency.
  • Storage is the big development field at the moment. Be it water pumping if geographically possible, or compressing air in standard industrial pressure vessels for later usage.
  • And balancing power across a national grid, where if there is no wind in one area there will be in another, will get more efficient as the number of turbines increases.

(I fully expect to be flamed for having this view :ph34r: ).

I think we should wait and see, I can't se it affecting EMS2 but by then we may know more and be in a position to either book the site for EMS3 or look for a new site.

Worth keeping an eye on the situation though, well spotted Martyn!!

Lets hope that it does not come off, There is a big fight going on near me over a wind farm, Also I had trouble with a local shool that has put up flood lights to play sports in the evening, They did in the end put faceing down lights but I still get a glow faceing south till around 11pm

Stephen

I live about 1.5 miles from a 10 turbine onshore (Midlands) wind farm, agree about cost effectiveness etc... Nothing we can change about that because no one listens.

Why would they waste energy lighting a substation/transformer site, If anyone is stupid enough to try and steal the cables they may get a little shock!