• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hello from Loughborough

Guest mrmorrison

Guest mrmorrison

Hi,

I'm Keith and I am interested in astronomy and learning more about the universe.

I am on here to get some tips about viewing and hopefully tag along to some local events.

I understand the Leicester Astronomical Society is on here?

Hi Keith

welcome to EMS

Sheila

Edited by Sheila

Hi keith, i'm reasonably new here too but so many knowledgeable and helpful people here, you'll find it really useful. Welcome.

James

(Nottingham)

Hi Keith

welcome to SGL

Sheila

Wrong forum Sheila.....

:facepalm:

Hi Keith welcome to EMS.

Do you own a scope yet or any bino's?

We have a couple of darksites, one at Belper and one at Wymseold, meets are arranged on a ad-hoc basis mainly when the weather is good and at weekends.

Keep an eye on the announcments section as meets are often arranged and then canceled at short notice due to the weather.

Any questions, fire away in the relevent section.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi Keith and a warm welcome to EMS :)

We do have some members of Leics Astro Soc on here - myself included. I'm sure you'll recognise one or two of them eventually.

EMS covers a slightly larger area though - Leicester, Nottingham, Derby, and Lincolnshire. Plus we are forum based and rent two local dark sites as mentioned already (we all chip in a small subscription to run them).

You'd be most welcome to pop down to a session for free, look through some scopes, get a feel for the group, and if you have an enjoyable time hopefully join up the dark site group. I'm sure you'll find it fun, friendly and interesting - meantime enjoy the forum and feel free to open a thread in the Beginners Section if you have any questions. :)

James, yes, £20 a year for near unlimited access to both sites.

Hi Keith, a warm welcome to EMS.

As mentioned, we have a dark site at Wymeswold, and also at Belper. You would be very welcome to join in at the next meet. These tend to be on a Friday or Saturday night, due to folks work commitments.

If you don't own a scope yet, then don't rush out and buy one. Come over and have a look at, and through, other members scopes and see what would suit you and your budget.

There is a right array of gear out there, and unfortunately, some of it doesn't even make a good paper weight.

If you spot something that you may consider buying, just pop up a post and ask, you will get good advice as to it's ability.

In the meantime enjoy this forum, and SGL. :D

Thanks James - yup you can visit the sites any day - but in the summer time we usually check if the cricket clubs are having a match on the weekend we want to arrange a meet. Your subscription covers both sites rental and public liability insurance if you have a guest. It also covers EMS organised star parties, public events, and club trips out to visit obsy's ....etc :)

Welcome to EMS Keith, I'm leicester too however have only been to the LAS meetings twice! Ha ha! There's usually some excuse, I should go more!

Guest Steve

Hi Keith,

The LAS official website is in a chrysalis state at the moment - currently dormant, but soon to emerge as a beautiful butterfly... so I am told!

In the meantime I have been posting email circulations from Dr Ann, who runs LAS, on to the LAS section we have here:

Home Page -> General -> Loacal Societies, Clubs & Observing Groups -> Leicester Astronomical Society

The next meeting is this coming Tuesday, 7:30 at the Leicester Space Centre. Just a pound for admission for non-members. Usually there are a couple of interesting talks by members, or a guest speaker comes in, which can be fascinating.

Unfortunately I will miss the next meeting due to business travel, but I'm usually there quite regularly so would be happy to meet you there if you like.

Enjoy the forum - there are some people know their onions on here!

Steve

Edited by Steve

Guest mrmorrison

Thanks for all the replies.

I am certainly keen to get out and see some sights. I'll take a look at the announcements section for the next meeting at Wymeswold and if I'm free I will head down.

Keith

Edited by mrmorrison

Hi Keith welcome to the EMS

Stephen

Edited by Stephen