• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Linking computers

dawson

Is there an easy way to somehow be able to share files between my laptop (Windows 7) and my desktop (Windows 7) via my wifi network (Virgin Media box). I don't really want to have to buy anything extra, but if that's what it needs, fair enough.

I'm not that good with computers, but can easily follow instructions if you show me a website which is slow and logical.

Thanks for any help.

James

Iam not computer literate, and don't want do anything that would cause problems.

The easiest way I found, was using a memory stick to transfer and keep files for back up. It saved the day when my desktop died.

You'd need to set up a network and a file share folder on one of the computers. It can be done independent of the virgin box and the computers talk direct to each other via wifi. I did this once many years ago back on Win98 - it's quite simple to do at the basic level but Windows hides everything behind point and click screens, menus, buttons, and radio boxes making it ridiculously difficult to do.

I'll be jiggered if I can talk you through it - largely because I hate Windows - but yes it can be done. I use a router now so everything gets hard wired including the Virgin modem out to the internet - much simpler imho. Maybe Damian can help out. :)

Thanks Felix. I should hve said the desktop is hard wired to the router, and has no wifi card (I don't think).

But now I see the sort of search terms I need, I'll look for advice on that option, thank you :)

James

"Home group". It seems to be done! That was remarkably easy. I just need to figure out how to somehow back it up now so I don't accidentally delete a file in one location and delete it in both.

Thanks all.

James

Well done James :) best option for back up is drag n drop the files to an external hard drive-that's all I do.

Guest Tweedledum

Hi James,

Just picked up on this post.Thats grand if you have followed. If you are away from your own network it is worth considering dropbox, or any other file storage sharing as you can access files away from your home base, and provide secure links to others. If you do this ensure that you keep an up to date backup of your own. But keeping a backup is what we all do already...isn't it :D .

Drop me a pm if you need help.

Cheers

Edited by Tweedledum

I use Teamviewer which allows complete control of remote computer and has a file transfer tab too.

I use it for remote imaging.

Guest Steve

I bought a twin NAS drive. The nice people at amazon accidentally put 2x2TB drives inside the casing for free.... :D

The NHS seem to block drop box, and if i'm anywhere else i've got my laptop which now contains the same files as my desktop. It's exciting.

Do people set it up so the default documents folders are the same folder on the laptop and desktop? So if i were to save a file on my laptop it would then appear on my desktop next time it was in my wifi zone? Or is that dangerous?

James

Guest Tweedledum

Hi James,

I would be very cautious regarding the use of third party sites like that at work. Your network team if they are worth their salt will have the desktop locked down and monitor those IP addresses. I used to be responsible for the desktop in the uk for a large co. And monitored usage very carefully...

I use dropbox just for ease of access for the odd file I might need away from the desktop, and for posting online. In essence you just do not know where they are stored so keep good regular backups. Just use your dropbox folder like a shared folder, it will update as you use it from either device.

Cheers