• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Upgrading equatorial mount

dawson

If an equatorial mount has motors on, but no GOTO system, how easy / expensive is it to install a GOTO system? Or would people advise just getting one with a factory fitted GOTO system?

Thanks

James

It can be easy as just replacing the handset (roughly £100) or it can be as hard as replacing all the motors I think, someone will probably correct me though

Guest Kheldar

Depends on the mount, quite expensive ... it's almost always better value to sell the mount as is and buy a S/H GOTO mount ...

Upgrade kit for EQ5/EQ6 is about £300

As Eddy says, if you are starting from a SynTrek then you can just pay for the handset

Edited by Kheldar

I agree - he's taken that in part ex for a dob I'll bet. But it would be better to get a brand new CG5 GT Goto for £475 from FLO - then pop whatever ota's on it as budget allows. The SW EQ5 is ok but the goto upgrade is way overpriced and not as good. :)

(Now David's dobs are an entirely different matter - I wouldn't hesitate on one of those - he's an expert builder.)

Goto requires encoders, motors and handset/pc, its not just a matter of fitting a handset. Ages ago I gotod an eq3 using meade ds motor/encoders and a handset, it worked a treat.

As another side project, I'm looking at controlling an EQ mount using the existing fitted stepper motors, via an Arduino controller and motor shield. This could potentially interpret LX200 commands coming in via USB and control the motors accordingly.

There are a few projects out there which look promising:

Worth a look

Edited by stovesy