• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Newbie in Coalville

Guest theburnschap

Guest theburnschap

Hi all,

After pottering around in my back garden and looking up with binos, I finally took the plunge and got myself a cheap starter scope off ebay - Celestron Nexstar 102 GT (used once) and am looking forward to a chilly night tonight - and without tempting fate too much maybe even the odd break in the clouds.....

Not sure if I can see our comet from the garden this early in the month - but with a bit of luck I might be able to see it as the weeks progress.

theburnschap

Hello Mark welcome to EMS.

Should be visible tonight if the clouds ever clear. Look towards the moons lower right and it should be there.

Hi and welcome. I hope you skies in coalville are going to be better than mine!

If you get a photo i'd love to see it.

James

Hi Mark, a warm welcome to EMS.

Congrats on the new scope, I hope you get a bit of clear sky for it.

Enjoy the forum. :)

Hi Mark and a warm welcome to EMS :)

Let us know if you fancy getting together for some group observing/imaging sometime - we do meet up as much as possible when the weather allows. Meantime enjoy the forum. :)

Hi Mark and welcome from another newbie just down the road in Swannington.

Guest theburnschap

Lovely cold night out there. Have spent the last two hours watching Jupiter. Definitely took in four moons although I thought I may be able to see a fifth. Wasn't out early enough to see the comet but had a lot of fun. Could clearly see the bands which thrilled me.

Problems were - schoolboy error of setting the date wrongly as it is set for month/day/year. I had even read about this today and yet excitedly forgot and could not get the goto to work. Muppet.

The star pointer isn't working. Changed the battery and still no joy. Bit of a pain.

And on unpacking I also found the battery compartment was missing. Luckily I found a power adapter from an old router that was exactly the spec needed.

Great night though!

Guest theburnschap

I assume my sighting of a fifth moon was probably not one............need to set up software to make sure I see what I think I am seeing!

There are presently around 60-70 confirmed moons around Jupiter (I think) but I doubt you will see any of them, you will only see the largest 4, the "5th" one was probably a background star.

Cracking good start though, wait until Saturn returns to our skies at a more reasonable hour, you need to be up around 2:00 am to see it at the moment.

That will blow your socks off!

I seem to recall that the fifth of Jupiter's moons (Amalthea) was discovered from Lick Observatory with a 36" refractor in about 1890, and there are probably only a handful (2-3 dozen) people who have ever seen it visually - ever! So I think I'll agree with the background star conclusion!

Angus