• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Jupiter 13th March 2013

catman161

Hi everyone,

Well I went to the pub with a mate to catch up as when I left the cloud was thick and I thought it was a no go tonight. I got back at just gone half nine to see clear skies so I came straight in and grabbed all my gear and setup very quickly. Did a rough polar align and then went to align and in my haste had forgotten to put the counter weights on and the mount made a horrible noise so I cancleed the alignment, took a deep breath added the weights balanced it all up and got to imaging jupiter. The results weren't great as the entire process to get all 4 avi's was within one hour so the scope wasn't cooled properly I didnt use dew gear and I havent really done any processing other than messing with the wavelets in registaz 5.1 

Equpiment was 200P, NEQ6 Pro, SPC900NC with a 2x Televue Powermate. To my eye it looked like good conditions tonight but to the camera it was like pea soup and hard to focus. Anyway results are below. Advice welcomed :)

931 frames of 1500

731 frames of 1500

476 frames of 1500

582 frames of 1500

Nice one Felix.

Love the second one.

your right about the seeing it looked crystal until you started trying to image through it :(

Thanks guys :) I'm keen to get to belper/wymeswold and see the difference a dark sky makes to planetary imaging-is it that noticeable or is it more re seeing that dictates image quality when it comes to planetary?

Nice captures Felix.

With Planetary it makes little difference it really is down to atmospherics.