• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The Conditions Required For Life In The Universe.

Perkil8r

http://scitechdaily.com/physicists-look-at-the-conditions-necessary-for-carbon-based-life-in-the-universe/

In a new study, physicists look at the conditions necessary for the formation of carbon and oxygen to form carbon-based life in the universe.

Life as we know it is based upon the elements of carbon and oxygen. Now a team of physicists, including one from North Carolina State University, is looking at the conditions necessary to the formation of those two elements in the universe. They’ve found that when it comes to supporting life, the universe leaves very little margin for error.

What amazes me is our fixation on carbon based life.

Why is it that we only think life is possible in the conditions that prevail here on out tiny little speck in space.

I understand you can only study what you can see but to think that all life must be carbon based is arrogant in the extream.

I also agree. I don't think that carbon based life is the only life possible. Scientists say they know so much with absolute certainty, but only a few hundred years ago we knew with absolute certainty that the sun went around the earth.

Graham a could not agree more every thing is based on are elements and gas ect in are galaxy theres galaxies that might be nothing like us we might look like crude bacteria to other life forms

To quote Prof. Brian Cox: "We know that everything that exists is made of the 92 naturally occurring elements, notice I say know and not think"

Carbon is needed to make elements "stick" together to form long chain molecules which are critical for any kind of life to exist. Whilst some other elements will stick well, they are not as stable, or that is my understanding of it so far.

Edit to add:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_carbon_important

The link above may help explain what I mean better.

Edited by Perkil8r

Cool but what about in a galaxie that is nthing like are and does not have are elements we have not even found all elements yet we may not even have the stuff to detect these element as a said we can not say this for sure

The elements we no of need branch chains like carbons to stick but has we have not found all the elements and only the ones we no have mars might have elements miles underground venus might what about planets in galaxies trillions of miles away great debate by the way

Pat

All galaxies (at least in our own Universe) conform to the rule of 92 naturally occurring elements. That is what Prof. Brian Cox is referring to. Everything in our Universe is made from those 92 elements.

The reason we know is because of the different spectrums of light I believe, or something like that.

Edited by Perkil8r

I find it hard here is only 92 elements in are universe thats a bold statement

There are more elements, but there are only 92 Naturally Occurring elements, all the others are made from those 92. All of those 92 are made up of a very small number of different sub atomic particles. It is the number of these sub atomic particles and ratios etc that cause different sorts of atoms to form. Sheila is probably better qualified to answer that than me as I have only just started to learn about it.

Yes, but amino acids as I understand it are a result of or aid to life's existence, they are not life it's self.

Just to add, they have not yet ruled out the possibilities of other forms of life that are not Carbon based, just we have yet to find any, or understand the science needed for other forms of life to exist.

I guess a lot depends on how we define the term "life". Common theory suggests that life is when something is able to reproduce and that it will have some form of DNA. There is a theoretical smallest known life form the Nanobe, but opinions are split as to weather or not it is a living entity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanobe

Edited by Perkil8r

Facinating topic of discussion.

My person favourite for an alterative for carbon base life forms would be cilica based,

One of the X files episodes had a silicon based life form that lived in a volcano, that was a few years ago. So even then they were thinking other life forms could evolve differently to us.

What if life was water based pure water does not have carbon? In it

True but why stop there.

What states a life form has to have a physical form or mass, why cannot a life form be pure energy.

As I said, I think to be considered as life it has to be able to reproduce or replicate it's self, either by it's self or with other of the same type. I say that because robots could never be classed as life IMO, they would be artificial life, in theory they could reproduce, but that's not in the spirit of what we are discussing.