• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Should I buy a refractor?

Guest Hayley

Guest Hayley

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of getting a new scope for myself for when I am at home and travelling around. I haven't had one for a while as I spend a lot of time in an observatory with a 16" Schmidt Cassegrain. In the past I have had reflectors and Schmidt Cassegrains but I have never had a refractor and I quite fancy getting one.

I don't want to spend loads, probably about £500 and may try connecting a dSLR to it occasionally. What do those of you who have had refractors think? Can anyone recommend a tried and trusted one in that price range?

Thanks!

Hayley

First one's that spring to mind are SW ED80 and WO Meg 72. Both tried and tested with good wide field views and great photography potential. :)

I am in love with my ED80 to be fair. The newer ones such as mine have a much improved focuser and the finish is better (I know that doesn't make much difference, but it does instill confidence) Does the £500 include the mount though? in which case the choice becomes a little harder, especially since a spot of AP is on the cards.

I'm currently using the eq5, it's fine for visual but I would not recommend it for AP, it can cope, but it is less than ideal and is a lot of work to get semi decent results. The cg5 is a tiny step up from the eq5, but realistically you should consider the Heq5 as the minimum for the ED80 if you want to do AP and be happy with the results. It all depends I guess on the sort of AP you want to do, and how stubborn you are. I was determined to prove I could do it with the eq5, and haven't done too bad, but it has caused a lot of grey hair, and a severe case of OCD :lol:

I agree with Mike - for portability and a decent chance of imaging a s/h CG5GT goto should be considered minimum and will just about fit in the budget - but HEQ5 pro preferable if you can stretch the budget. :)

I'm currently using the eq5, it's fine for visual but I would not recommend it for AP, it can cope, but it is less than ideal and is a lot of work to get semi decent results. The cg5 is a tiny step up from the eq5, but realistically you should consider the Heq5 as the minimum for the ED80 if you want to do AP and be happy with the results. It all depends I guess on the sort of AP you want to do, and how stubborn you are. I was determined to prove I could do it with the eq5, and haven't done too bad, but it has caused a lot of grey hair, and a severe case of OCD :lol:

Don't underestimate your results Mike, the pictures you have produced with your set-up are fantastic.

(granted you do look at lot older now than when I first met you - lol)

All the scopes listed above Hayley, will produce fantastic images if used with the right mount.

Let us know what you decide on.

Guest Hayley

Reading reviews and looking at what you have said I think I am going to get a skywatcher evostar 80ED and the Celestron CG5- Go to.

I am going to have to wait a bit though as my budget has gone from £500 to £1200! I am moving house so as soon as that is out of the way I think I will strike.

I'm really excited, the set up looks like it will be amazing. I looked through a member of EMS APO refractor at Stargazing Live and I think the seed was planted then! I can't remember who it belonged to though....?