• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Adobe issues

dawson

I've got several Adobe products installed on my computer:

a) Adobe Photoshop CS2 (I used that free link posted recently)

B) Adobe Photoshop Elements 8 (I don't recall installing this so it might just be already on the computer)

c) Adobe Application Manager

I've never paid for an Adobe product.

None of them can open my cameras raw files (EOS 600D CR2, or the raw from the Canon 1000D). I've tried various patches from the Abode website but they just don't install, I assume because I have never paid them anything.

Two questions:

1. Is there a patch somewhere which will allow me to open raw files with these packages?

2. What is the difference between a) and B) above, and which do people use to adjust their images?

Thanks

James

When you bought your Canon 1000d that would have came with a program to open Raw files I think it's called Digtal Photo Professional (DPP).

you can open your Raw images in DSS.

Load them into DSS as if you are going to stack them.

select check all

click on each sub and it will open in the screen above the subs list.

You will find the image will be black.

On the top right of the screen you will see a slider, move this to the left and the image will become visible.

If the sub is a good one just click on the next sub in the list.

If you get a bad sub un check the box on the left related to the sub and it will be discarded.

Go through all of the lights untill you are happy you have discarded all the bad ones.

Then register the remaining subs and stack.

Ah, thank you. I got the 1000D second hand, so no CDs, but I will download them. I've just installed the 600D stuff; Picture Style Editor and some codec (not sure what the latter will do). At least I can now do basic manipulation of raw files.

James

Graham, thank for that too.

I now just need a good clear hour or so, that I can try and capture more data.

Pat has kindly offered to help me out one night with a one-on-one tutorial.

James

Edited by dawson

Guest Ely Ellis

James,

I got my Canon 450D second hand too and without the software disks.

Unfortunately I found that on the Canon website, you cannot download the programs, only the updates!

Strange thing is, these updates ARE the full latest software, but you cannot install them unless you have the originals.

I know... why do Canon do this, its not like their software is any use without a Canon camera.

Anyway, there is a workaround which involves a small edit to the registry to make the 'updates' think that you have the originals installed. It's quite easy to do, I will try and find out where it is, but it is easily found on the internet if you search.

So, first go to Canon and download the latest updates.

Then add the patch to the registry

Then run the updates and it will install the latest versions of the camera driver and about 4 additional programs.

This will also allow Photo-shop to view the RAW (CR2) images, but it is like a separate program rather than in the main PS window.

Of course another way would be to search the internet for an ISO of the original Canon software. Not sure how legal this all is, but as you have a Canon camera I don't see how it can break any copyright laws.

Anyway, you know the routine.

Hope this helps.

Martin

Thanks Martin. I've just found the CD that came with the EOS 600D, so having a look through that.

James

Right, I've installed Canon's DPP from my disc and updated it on both desktop and laptop. It seems to open raw files now and even allows me to transfer them into Photoshop! Whoop whoop :)

Thanks for the remedial help guys. I am sorry to be a pain. I'll buy you all a pint sometime.

James