• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

kids welcome?

Guest clare louise

Guest clare louise

hi all just a quick question. are kids welcome at all your meets? I didn't want to come along and it be an important night and find my 6 yr old is not welcome. I don't mean it in a funny way but theres only so long a 6 yr old can be kept still n quiet esp without a ds in toe.i don't want to upset anyone, I would much rather know that on a particular meet  it would be best not to come if you get what I mean.im hoping he will be so taken by it all he will be glued

Can't see any issues with bringing him, as far as I am aware all are welcome, whatever age :) theres usually food which should keep him quiet long enough :lol:

Children are welcome Clare, but are strictly the responsibility of the parent. 

This is not to deter anyone with kids, but for making sure everyone is happy, and that accidents involving kids and kit does not occur.

Seeing as William is interested at such an early age, it is good to feed the habit so to speak, he could do great things.

Hi Clare. We do welcome youngsters to take an interest as they are the astronomers of tomorrow, and we are keen to "spread the word" through the public events we attend, and sometimes organise.

But it's very much down to common sense, and responsibility. We think it's reasonable to insist that youngsters are under strict parental supervision at all times. An astronomy meeting can be a very dangerous place for a child in the pitch dark with all the expensive cabling and equipment around. We wouldn't wish to see either a child hurt, nor a two grand imaging rig knocked over and damaged.

Also it can be very cold overnight so children should be well wrapped up and looked after. The only occasion where it might be unsuitable for children to attend would be the quarterly meetings when we do talks and presentations. But otherwise, with a responsible parent it would be fine. :)

(We do have a very responsible 8yr old member who brings his parent regularly and keeps her well supervised lol)