• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

EQMod/Stellarium Scope control Help

catman161

Hi Guys,

I have followed all the guides to the letter for attemping to control my mount via stellarium and every time that I think I have gone through all the stepos in the guide and click the connect checkbox in stellarium scope it loks as though it is opening EQAscom and then EQAscom dsappears and the checkbox is magically empty again!

I using WIndows vista and NEQ6 Pro wit latest versions of al software including stellarium!

Getting angry now so walking away from my expesive astro equipment! :)

A big hammer! That fixes everything. If it doesn't, you're not using a big enough hammer.

Hope this helps :lol:

Guest Kheldar

I can't help with Stellarium as I don't use nor like it .... but if you want me to run you through Cartes Du Ceil instead I'd be more than happy

If your using stellarium 12 make sure you have the beta version of stellarium scope built especially for 12

Also if EQMOD opens and closes quickly open EQMOD diagnostics and use that to set the correct com port for EQMOD. It will close if it can't find a connected mount. The diagnosis file will let you set it up

If your using stellarium 12 make sure you have the beta version of stellarium scope built especially for 12

Also if EQMOD opens and closes quickly open EQMOD diagnostics and use that to set the correct com port for EQMOD. It will close if it can't find a connected mount. The diagnosis file will let you set it up

As above Felix.

Eqmod will only run on ports 1 to 6. Port 2 is preferred.

If it is set at anything else you will be banging your head against a brick wall.

If you need advice go on SGL and get hold of a guy called Chriss Hillto he wrote eqmod.

If he don't know no one will :) and he is extreamly helpful sorted out my Eqmod problems in 2 mins flat.

Thanks guys. Am on train presently but will sort it when I get back. I was using port 9-thanks graham, ill change it tomorrow and run again. Thanks for help everyone.

Guest Kheldar

As above Felix.

Eqmod will only run on ports 1 to 6. Port 2 is preferred.

If it is set at anything else you will be banging your head against a brick wall.

If you need advice go on SGL and get hold of a guy called Chriss Hillto he wrote eqmod.

If he don't know no one will :) and he is extreamly helpful sorted out my Eqmod problems in 2 mins flat.

Graham I'm not sure that's correct with regards to the port, I was running on 7 at the weekend?

my EQ mod picks 8, and 11 normally....occasionally 13 when i am very unlucky, but never below port 8

Sheila

maybe it is only on XP then us country folk are not advanced enough to be on windows 7 or 8 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know it will not run on anything above 6 on mine.

Edited by Graham

Guest Kheldar

maybe it is only on XP then us country folk are not advanced enough to be on windows 7 or 8 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know it will not run on anything above 6 on mine.

You could of hit the nail on the was there :thumbsup:

Stephen the frightening thing is I have just realised I am still using the original Eqmod/ascom from 2011.

Thats a long time ago now, oh how the time just flies when your having fun.

Do you recon its time to update my computer. :lol:

Guest Kheldar

Stephen the frightening thing is I have just realised I am still using the original Eqmod/ascom from 2011.

:facepalm: says it all ;)

I know stuck in my ways.

I like the old addage ' if it ain't broke dont fix it'

I know what will happen if I update it all nothing will work anymore.

if your using stellarium 11.2 or above you need to have the latest version of stellarium scope otherwise it doesn`t work,

the other thing to sort out is that the usb port you are using is the same as set in the eqmod setup screen, mine changes depending on which usb port on my laptop i plug it into, it goes up to port 15 if i remeber correctly, i just start device manager and it shows which port number your using,

if you do not use the correct port number eqmod just starts and closes again,

but main problem is you need the latest version of stellarium scope.

If it works don't fix it

Steve

I give up. All the latest software versions and correct ports selected and it still isn't working. Just gonna go with handset tomorrow night (is looking clear,fingers crossed). Damn computers!!

Okay this is odd. I decided to get rid of the hitec astro EQ USB to serial interface and jut plug the handset cable (RS232 or whatever it's called) straight into my USB to serial adapter and try the direct connection (rather than remote/radio connect using eqascom) and it is all working fine now. I am stupidly satisfied, like a small child with a massive chocolate bar :D

Edited by catman161

Might be the ramifications adapter box or cable problem, might be worth trying someone else's to try

There's no need to try anyone else's now rob, runs fine under direct connection. No third party software required, just plug in, configure port,select mount and go. Problem solved :)

You'll have to help me set up my NEQ6 with Stellarium Felix - it's the only scope I ain't done yet - I have Eqmod as well so we can play around with that too. :)

I am not sure how much help I will be Kim but I'll give it my best! Like I said above, I have totally bypassed eqmod cable and and use of eqascom platform and just used the RS232 cable connected at one end to laptop (with serial to USB converter) and the other end direct into handset and it seems to work. The real test will be getting outside and under a starry sky-so will have to wait and see.

There's no need to try anyone else's now rob, runs fine under direct connection. No third party software required, just plug in, configure port,select mount and go. Problem solved :)

But your missing out on all those ASCOM goodies like Alignmaster, auto focus control, guiding, game pad and other routines that EQMOD makes so easy :D

Get yourself one of Dions EQDir cables with FTDI chipset. I suspect your old cable was the problem if it has the prolific chip set

I suspect your old cable was the problem if it has the prolific chip set

^^ This.

Regards.