• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Meade Brand

Guest MoonMan

Guest MoonMan

Hi guys, 

Im looking into stepping up my hardware due to wanting great shots.  Has anyone on the boards have experience of Meade as a brand? Reliable? Robust?

Models im looking into are the LX600, LS, LT

I have very little experience with meade personally but from what I have heard, the optics are very good but the electrics are a bit iffy. Also apparently the after sales customer service in the uk is not the best.

But that is just what I've heard. I'm sure someone with first hand experience will be along soon with more useful information.

Meade

Optics are brilliant

Electronics especially on the earlier models was poor to say the least.

After sales service is non exsistant.

I had a Meade ETX 80, the optics were pin sharp, across the whole view. The GoTo was agricultural, and broke, and I only got it going with second hand bits. This was really bad, with poor quality die cast metal parts that were not up to the job.

I can't comment on the after sales service, as I have never called on it.

In saying that, I now have a Meade AR127, and that is of reasonable build quality, and delivers great views.

No personal experience with Meade electrics and service - but I've heard all the above. I have looked through a couple of Meade Scts and the optics are superb - just got the edge on Celestron imho. I also know two Meade scope engineers who swear by their electronics - but then they are a tad biased. :)

Mike at Derby & District Astronomical Society has Meade equipment and he sings his praises of the kit. He frequents this board as Magellan Boy.

You could drop him a PM. :)

I had a Meade 10" LX200 SCT permanently housed in a mostly damp obsy for about 8 years, and never had an electrical or any other problem with it. It performed excellently throughout my ownership.

To follow up on my previous.

I replaced a motor on a friends LX 200.

Meade would not sell me the part as I was not an ' official ' dealer/ repair shop even though I was involved in the industry.

I got round the problem by getting the bit from a dealer in the USA who was more than happy to sell me one.

So yes IMHO the later scopes are brilliant and I for one would jump at the chance of a 10 inch or larger Meade SCT if I had the funds.

The crap after sales service can be got around with a little imagination.

If you have the chance to get a decent one at a good price I would say grab it with both hands.

I too have heard the rumors of them being in dire straits but like all good things the scopes tend to hold their value and I cannot see that ever changing.

As a final addition - the scope the Royal Observatory Edinburgh put on top of my pier was a --- Meade SCT

Edited by Graham

The school obs has a 16" LX200 and although a great scope, the electronics were dead when it arrived. Despite being £13.5k worth of scope they wanted the school to send it all the way back over to the states to repair it! Customer service is shocking.