• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

March 19th

angusw2

My local Observatory had changed the weekly members meeting night from Wednesday to Tuesday this week to free Wednesday for a visiting group. So I go out to my car at 7.20 to find that while I was having my tea the sky has miraculously cleared. So I quickly load the dob and eyepiece case and set off for the Obs.

After setting up I had a quick look at a few familiar objects, Pleiades, M42, moon and Jupiter.

I the decided to look up some new objects and managed M34 in Perseus, Kembles Cascade with NGC1502 and C13 (NGC457) in Cassiopeia. I the tried to find M52 in Cass but failed. While scanning around I saw a small star that was a deep coppery red colour. I memorised the star pattern and when I got home looked it up on Stellarium. It was WZ Cass, a variable carbon star that was a new one on me.

At this point the combination of light pollution, moonlight, misty haze, cold, few and the need to get up for work in the morning meant the observing came to a close. A short but pleasing session with a few more targets ticked on the list.

Angus

Good little report thanks. Glad you got even a little bit of observing done. I've still not seen anything but cloud for ages.

Guest Ely Ellis

Good little session you had. Made the most of it.

Like the sound of WZ Cas, will have to have a look for that one.

Martin

Sounds like a nice session with a lot seen in a short space of time. You might wanna rethink your "Grab 'n' Go" setup though :D