• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

** Heads Up ** 41mm Panoptic

Brantuk

As per title - 41mm Panoptic for sale on SGL classifieds. Looks like it's in mint condition going for £295 ono - I have the 35mm and it's awesome - highly recommended for crystal wide fields in big dobs. :)

Get a loan or sell the wife - you'll be rolling in it next week and wish you'd bought it lol :)

Looks intriguing......reckon it would be nice with an F/10 type scope.

Have you seen this months 'Astronomy Now Magazine ?

They've gone to town with Televue this month ; an excellent 5 page spread that looks

at the Ethos & Delos range, thats well worth a read.

I'm a huge fan of 'the green- stripe' stuff.

I remember reading years ago on another forum, 'that once you go green there's no turning back !

Bad news for the credit card though...... :o

Looks intriguing......reckon it would be nice with an F/10 type scope.

Have you seen this months 'Astronomy Now Magazine ?

They've gone to town with Televue this month ; an excellent 5 page spread that looks

at the Ethos & Delos range, thats well worth a read.

I'm a huge fan of 'the green- stripe' stuff.

I remember reading years ago on another forum, 'that once you go green there's no turning back !

Bad news for the credit card though...... :o

I know the feeling. Been there, got the t-shirt!

I'm starting to feel like that since buying the 13mm Ethos-I keep scouring ABS looking for TV eyepieces, even though I can't afford another one just yet! Lol!

How about this Delos then Felix if money's a bit tight lol:

http://stargazerslounge.com/classifieds/item/1562-televue-delos-10mm/

Hey Kim it's not really that I can't afford it, it's just we're gonna move house very soon (well we hope to) so money has to be earmarked for other thins unfortunately. Master plan whilst we're looking at houses (what we've been doing this afternoon) is getting a place with a garden big enough for an obsy ;)

When you mentioned 'big dobs' Kim at the start of the thread i'd always been under the impression that something like a 41 Pan

wouldn't work too well, assuming that a big dob would have a focal ratio between F/4 & F/6.

Wouldn't the exit pupil be too large i.e. your eye's pupil would be too small to see everything in the eyepiece.

Have i got that the right way round ?  Do correct me if i'm wrong.

So someone my age (45) has a dark adapted pupil diameter of 5 - 6 mm (approx) Maybe a bit less,,,

So the 41 Pan  (41 divided by 5.5  = 7.45 )  So anything below F/6 wouldn't be that good ? F/4 not good at all.

Has anyone tried this sort of combination ? I'd be interested to know.

Even a 31 Nagler would be pushing it with large aperture Dobsonian around F/4 - F/5

I always remember the night a chap from Loughborough paid  DDAS a visit up at our Brailsford Obs

With him was a 14" Orion (US) truss dobsonian and 3 or 4 Tv Ethos eyepieces.

This included the E21mm. I'll never forget the view of the Double-Cluster with that. Quite unbelievable.

I think this must be the ultimate low power eyepiece to use with a large aperture dob.

The price of course, reflects this.  :(

Hi Rob - yes I'm not too hot on the maths of it all - but I had the 35mm Panoptic at Kelling last autumn and I'm not kidding when I say andromeda galaxy was awesome in a 20" Lukehurst f-5 dob. The view was slightly over filled by the object as your numbers rightly suggest but the detail was phenomenal. There's so many intricate dust lanes in crystal clear view and the core was easily discernable as separate from them (big gap in between).

Of course with my rusty old eyes I had to look around a bit - and I didn't get that long at the eyepiece (well it was someone else's scope after all lol) - but what I saw just blew me away. I still want an Obsession f-5 20" but may have to wait some time now (just upgraded the car). :)

Just checked the price of a 20"  From £4595 !  Quite some telescope though.......But its an F/4, not an F/5.  Definatly 21 Ethos territory !

David Lukehurst did a talk to us at DDAS a few years ago. Nice chap. He'd just started with his range of 'ultra-portables'

I think if i could have one.....taking everything into consideration.....i'd go for the 16" Deluxe. £3295. 

Thats an F/5 so a little more forgiving on collimation.

I'd ask him about a Feathertouch + built in Paracor too

I'd need a 21 Ethos as well of course !!

One things for sure, i'd never manage to hide a 16" dob away from my wife, like i can with the C8 !!   :lol:

Not sure if it's the same one but a 41mm Panoptic has appeared on astro BS for £275 ad number 67627