• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Bird spotting 21mar13

andyboy1970

RedKites2_zpsd725613a.jpg

RedKiteformationflypast_zps6560f543.jpg

RedKiteflypast_zpsc61162ac.jpg

RedKite3_zpsd22a6da4.jpg

RedKite1_zps44e1cfb3.jpg

Saw the Kites hanging around and they obliged with a small airshow.

Pheasants_zps5801809b.jpg

Cracking pictures, all though not what I was expecting...  :lol:

I knew someone would fall into that trap!  :D

Cheers.

I don't know what its like elsewhere but down here in Northamptonshire I see them every single day, I know they released some in the Rockingham forest years back.

The crows don't like them and try attacking them but the Kites are such wonderful fliers and effortless that they just out maneuver the crows.

Went to my youngest boys Beaver outdoor day and they did a bird of prey display with a White Kite and Harris hawk, as soon as the White kite went up flying some Red kites came over to investigate staying much higher though. 

When I worked at British airways in Glasgow we had Harris hawks brought in to chase of the birds nesting in the Hangar which was very effective. On the last day they brought in a Golden eagle to have pictures taken for the airline newspaper, it was huge and powerful looking.

Edited by andyboy1970

Hoping to see Golden Eagles and White Tailed Sea Eagles when Ron, Ibbo and myself go to Islay at the end of April.

We don't see many Red Kites at all round me, here in Nottingham. Get loads in Derbyshire though.

Hi Andy, the RSPB site at Fineshades they started breeding and releasing R Kites and they now 12 nesting sites in the area. We get quite a few around here and near Oakham where I do deliveries some times! Stunning birds to watch but if you visit France, all the village 'tips' have Red and Black Kites as residents!

Cheers

Ron

Hi Andy, the RSPB site at Fineshades they started breeding and releasing R Kites and they now 12 nesting sites in the area. We get quite a few around here and near Oakham where I do deliveries some times! Stunning birds to watch but if you visit France, all the village 'tips' have Red and Black Kites as residents!

Cheers

Ron

I wish they would release some down here, mind its probably too flat around here for them isn't it ??

Quite a few raptors in your neck of the woods I think? Marsh and Hen Harriers, Buzzards and RL Buzzards too. But they seem to be spreading countrywide without outside help, the same as C Buzzards have done over the last 5 years!

Ron

Yes there are a few about but they just haven't got the same,,, I dont know ' impact ' as something like a Kite if you know what I mean.

Cheers

Ron

Hi Ron, these pictures were taken this morning about 7 miles south of Fineshade woods.

There was actually 5 in total but one was camera shy.

DSC_3746_zps3b81bd3f.jpg

This little chap was in fine song too, i'm not a bird watcher  so i've no idea what it is but I love wildlife.

Andy I think you may have just found your true vocation in life.

I would love it if it paid the bills.

Belting pictures Andy. We don't have kites round here, but we have a local pair of C Buzzards.

The best display I saw was a guy who flew a big old vulture, he did one circuit, landed and then walked everywhere, he was knackered.

What lens did you get the kites with?

Very nice images.

James

cheers.

It was a Sigma 70-300mm Macro DG Apo lens (£129) cracking lens for the money.

From 200mm to 300mm you slide the macro switch to on and the depth of field is awesome.

Nikon version - http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-sigma-70-300mm-f4-5-6-macro-dg-lens-nikon-fit/p1008570?cm_mmc=googlebase-extension-_-camera-lenses-_-nikon-fit-_-sigma-70-300mm-f4-5-6-macro-dg-lens-nikon-fit_1008570&utm_source=googlebase-extension&gclid=cm2j6pkmk7ycfxdktaodf3qajg

I also have the Canon version on try before I buy from my mate.