• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Filters at prime focus

dawson

If the DSLR is screwed to my telescope at prime focus, where would you put a light pollution filter, or some form of nebula filter?

I'm asking as a guy I am in the process of buying a 2.5x Powermate from has some 1.25" filters he's selling but I just wondered where they'd go if I were to use my DSLR at prime focus.

Thanks

James

I would think only an EOS clip filter James £100+, I use 2" filters on the RD as I use an 80mm ext tube that is 2" threaded.

Cheers

Ron

I see. I wasn't dying to filter anything, I was just wondering how I would go about it.

Another thing to put on the back burner for now; I'm not a DSO convert just yet!

Thanks for getting back Ron and explaining.

James

i could have done, but I don't know him, and if it was something I could use, I didn't want him thinking I was thick and then financially taking advantage of me, plus you guys are friendly and knowledgeable and I knew I'd get a quick and thorough answer here.

I know I ask a lot of questions. Sorry.

JD

I put a want on asb and he emailed me as he had one and loads of other stuff which he is planning to put on asb sometime; filters, 2" 22mm televue eye piece, 2" filter. Drop me a private message with your email and i'll forward you his email with the items on.

He's going to post the powermate on monday. Exciting. I'm just looking forward to some clear nights when i'm free so i can try it out with my cleaned webcam and optics before jupiter does a runner :)

James

I might get a 1.25" IR filter to screw into the nose piece which felix said i could have for my webcam (it's currently got a 35mm film canister as a nose piece; i told you it was cheap!

James

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ben72

i use a T2 adapter, or a 48mm for my coma corrector, both with screw theads. then use 2" LP filter

the only draw back is if you want to change filters, ie: RGBL filters you would have to remove the camera to change them.