• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Man gets 30 months in prison for shining laser at plane

Craig

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21939795

Please do not do this - it is dangerous and illegal in many countries (I believe the UK included, can anybody confirm?).

As astronomers we tend to use these things for pointing out objects in the night sky, but they need to be used briefly and sensibly, and NEVER in the path of aircraft.

A 19-year-old California man has been sentenced to two and a half years in prison for shining a laser pointer at two aircraft.

In March 2012 Adam Gardenhire aimed a green laser pen at a business jet and then shone it at a Pasadena police helicopter sent to find the source.

He is the second person in the US to be sentenced for aiming a laser at an aircraft.

The act has been considered a federal crime in the US since February 2012.

A silly way to have to learn a lesson.

Found this website which has loads of info on regarding laser pointers.....

http://www.laserpointersafety.com/index.html

Where the below links goes to show cases both abroad and in the UK, with most receiving fines and/or prison sentences....

http://www.laserpointersafety.com/sentences/sentences.html

So to answer your question Craig, if they are sending people to jail, then yes, I would say it is illegal.

(and completely stupid and they deserve everything they get!!!)

Edited by Daz Type-R

I thought so, but no time to do the research.

(and completely stupid and they deserve everything they get!!!)

Totally agree!

Guest Tweedledum

Hi Craig,

There was a comprehensive answer on SGL some time ago by an aviation bodette. I'll see if I can find it.

The long and short of it is be careful, just checked on google earth and Wymswold is 8.5 miles as the crow flies from East mids airport which would put aircraft north of the site at about 5000 feet.

I'm an Aircraft engineer and know a few pilots have had trouble coming into Luton at night, some to the extent were the other pilot has had to take over.

We used to be at Sawley dark site right next to East Mids airport. We always kept an eye on anyone with lasers and made sure they were only used when the sky was clear of aircraft.

I believe most astronomers are pretty responsible about this - but we do draw it to the attention of any one with a laser (and even watch each other) cos you never know when the odd slip is going to happen.

Yep, we were always careful at Sawley.

Having said that, do you remember the night the blacked out helicopter did a flyby at low level?

Yeah - never forget that one - frightening watching it go by with no lights - very stealthy.

He wasn't that stealthy, it sounded like a bag of spanners.

The local hover bobby (or the Broxtowe airshow) now has a device fitted that can take a snap shot of the laser spectrum and frequency, and is pretty much a finger print of the laser used. This is then evidence if they catch you.

I use a 50mw one when showing people the night sky or pointing out what is in the scope.

Think the law needs to be clearer, the amount of times I heard people say " that's illegal."

Living on the flight of path east mids I'm always very careful when and where I point it and I don't let any one else use it.

So as i see it aslong as your sensible there shouldnt be a problem, if your buzzing aircraft you deserve what you get.

Not a toy!!!

Again the mindless few give us all a bad name.

Yup - it's not illegal to use one - just pointing it at aircraft is the misdemeanor.

I believe some laser pointers over a certain power rating are illegal to own though. :)

I often use one mounted on my scope for initial finding and it is a great help, but to extend battery life and not upset anyone it is on for perhaps 5 seconds only for each find, I hold the button on whilst moving the scope. If I saw a plane in the area, I would not use it until it was well out of the way. Also if other people are imaging nearby I would use other methods to find stuff. I seem to have a wide choice of different finders on my kit at the moment anyway :D .

Also it is wise to be aware of the possible damage that could be done to someones dark adapted eye. I don't know how bad this could be, but I suspect it could put an end to someones observing temporarily or possibly permanently.

These things really need to be used responsibly and with great care. If the law changes, (which it might if idiots keep pointing at planes), I obviously won't use it at all, but feel that would be a shame, since it works really well for me.

From what I have read, it is difficult to know what the power actually is, since the cheaper laser pointers from the far east are often marketed with a higher rated wattage sticker than the laser actually produces, in order to sell more. But at least that is more liable to keep people on the right side power wise.