• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M 51 disaster.

Graham

Well anyone who was reading the shout box yesterday evening will know about the weird substance  I found on my mirrors.

After spending 3 hours cleaning it off or what I thought to be clean turns out to be,,,, well lets say I am going to have to strip the scope right down and start again.

This is M51 shot last night against the full moon.

73 60 second subs at ISO 800

21 Darks

51 Flats

Stacked in DSS

Adjusted in PS 6.

Please note the very special 'frosted glass' effect.

Looking closely at the auto save I can only conclude  that some part of the optics was covered in water droplets.

Still mystified as to what this strange substance is and even more mystified as to how I am going to get rid of it.

m-51-27.03.2013.jpg

Looks like it was going to be a nice image.

Didn't see the shoutbox last night, you haven't had an insect crawling over your mirror have you?

A snail/slug now thats a possible candidate for the junk all over my mirror.

I will see when I strip the scope.

It will give me a good excuse to flock it whilst I am there.

Going to load up the 127 frac onto the mount today so hopefully I will have more success next time out. :lol:

Looks like gravitational lensing Graham. :D

Seriously though i hope you get it cleaned ok.

Looks serious I hope you get it cleaned ok. Maybe resort to some Baader fluid if nothing else works

Noooooooo..... Baader Fluid is for lenses only - it'll ruin a mirror coating. I remember being slaughtered the first time I mentioned that to a group lol :)

Point taken. But I did say if all else fails. I've heard of it bring used then washed off. Never had to resort to that myself

A bit of bog standard washing up detergent, the fairy basic one is what I have used. Check the ingredients on the back. Avoid any perfumes, Benzoates, or any mention what so ever of acids.

RInse off with luke warm tap water, then rinse with distilled water to finish. I use a hair dryer on cool to blow as many drops off as possible. Dry any remaining drops of water with the corner of a bit of kitchen towel.

Check out the advert on the FLO website for info about Baader fluid - excellent on optics but fatal on mirrors. :)