• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

On your child's life...

Craig

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir2bekewg-8&feature=player_embedded

Posted on our iternal intranet at work. I think this is a very worthwhile message to spread around.

Please take it seriously. Fit, test and replace your smoke alarms.

We have one in the front room, on the landing, and in both bedrooms.

Krys's parents had a house fire caused by a forgotten candle about fifteen years ago, and although they had a smoke alarm, it was the burgler alarm going off (melting) that woke them.

The smoke alarm went off a bit later, by then the fire was well established and they were rescued by a neighbour. He's a painter and had ladders on his car, he got an award for that, and rightly so, Mum wasn't a small girl.

The trauma and devastation it caused was unbelievable, the smoke damage affected every room even with the doors closed.

They were lucky and got out, but it could have easily gone the other way.

If you haven't got a smoke alarm, get one.

When we had a loft conversion done 10 years ago, we had mains powered (battery back-up) smoke detectors fitted on all three floors. This was a building regs requirement. Not sure what regs say about standard new builds now. My late father was in the Fire Brigade for 25 years, so he was always pushing these from when they first came out. Essential in my view and I can't understand the mentality of someone who will take the batteries out to replace the one in the TV remote, etc. As the old campaign said, "A fire doesn't have to kill you to take your life".

We have a mains powered model on the landing (we're a small 2 bedroom mid terrace, so it's quite a suitable position).

http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/product.php?product_id=0105036

It plugs into your light socket and so charges when the light is switched on. You test it by flicking the light switch on and off in quick succession. Very easy to fit and very reliable!