• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Attaching a DSLR to a telescope

I have bought a 2nd hand DSLR and wish to connect it to my telescopes with a 1.25" fitting. Are the T-mounts the same for all cameras?

I need to find out so I know what my daughter can get me for Father's Day.

Phil, using 1.25" fittings will cause vignetting, (I speak from experience because that's what I did when I started, used an old barlow). If the scope has a 2" focuser go for a 2" adaptor to make the most of your camera chip.

Phil, using 1.25" fittings will cause vignetting, (I speak from experience because that's what I did when I started, used an old barlow). If the scope has a 2" focuser go for a 2" adaptor to make the most of your camera chip.

Unfortunately, I don't have a 2" focusser, so am stuck with 1.25". Thanks.

The fitting i've got for my canon eos is specific for the canon eos fitting on the camera side, but i suspect a standard screw thread on the other, but i'm still very new to this so wait for someone more knowledgable to come along.

James

Hi Phlip.

The T ring is camera specific as it fits on the camera like a lens.

What scope have you got.??

Edited by Graham

Thanks, Folks. I have a Skywatcher ST80 and SkyMax 127. I thought that camera lenses were a standard fitting on SLRs and DSLRs but perhaps I'm wrong. I have a Konica Mimolta, so a few years old.

Hi Phlip.

The T ring is camera specific as it fits on the camera like a lens.

What scope have you got.??

Hi Phiip.

Stick up a photo of the ep holder on your st 80 because I can fit my canon + t ring straight on to the focus tube of my st 80.

• 2 months later...
Guest Adz_88

I am also looking to get into imaging I have found the odd bit of info I do have a 2" thread but as I'm a novice I want to get a cheep second hand dslr I was looking at Samsung but I can't find the t ring for a samsung just th usual canon pentaks. Anybody know where I can get one?

As Graham says, get a Canon EOS T ring and it screws onto the end of the ST80 focuser and bye-passes the 1.25" EP holder that PhilJ rightly says will otherwise be a pain.

If they don't exist (i've not looked) can you get a samsung to canon conversion ring, then put a canon eos t2 adaptor ontop of that?

James

Guest endure

Ya I got that just can't get hold of a t ring for Samsung dslr

Which Samsung is it? A number of the Samsung DSLRs are actually Pentaxes in disguise. The telescope side of a T ring fitting is actually a standard T2 lens mount. The other side is specific to the lens fitting of your camera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-mount

Guest endure

From Wiki:

In 2005, Pentax Corporation partnered with Samsung Techwin[12] to share work on camera technologies and recapture market ground from Nikon and Canon. Then Pentax and Samsung started releasing new DSLR siblings from this agreement. The Pentax *istDS2 and *istDL2 also appeared as the Samsung GX-1S and GX-1L, while the jointly developed (90% Pentax and 10% Samsung) Pentax K10D and K20D gave birth to the Samsung GX-10 and GX-20 respectively. Some Pentax lenses are also rebranded and sold as the Samsung Schneider Kreuznach D-Xenon and D-Xenogon lenses for the Samsung DSLRs. However, both brands are completely compatible with Pentax and Samsung DSLRs.

If you have one of the above a standard Pentax K T-ring should do the job.