• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Another setting circle!

BAZ

I thought that since everyone else was getting set up with a setting circle, I would join in and sort one out.

The vinyl setting circle was kindly supplied by Perkil8r.  ( Top chap  :thumbsup: )

I dismantled the base, and carefully measured everything, particularly where the viewing window should be placed. After marking it out, the hole was cut out for the window.

The setting circle had it's centre cut out to accommodate the bearing, although with hindsight, I didn't need to do this. I could have just laid the bearing on the vinyl.   :facepalm:

I then drilled a small hole to allow a 12v red LED to be placed under the base, to illuminate the circle, this was recessed as there is very little room between the two base boards. It was duct taped down, and reflective aluminium tape added to reflect the light forward.

This was all put back together, and a 12v LED controller, purchased from Ebay, was added. This all works a treat, and not only looks well, but should perform as all the others have.

Here's a link to the Pics.

http://s1230.photobucket.com/user/BBQBAZ/library/setting%20circle?page=1

Very nice Martyn.

Just goes to show the difference in designs between yours and mine while still achieving the same goals.

I'm still to finish mine off, hoping to get out tonight and try it out!

That is looking great Martyn. I think these Dob circles (and wixeys) really are the way to go. A marvellous way to save a lot of time finding stuff and leave more time for looking at it.

When I bought the Dob, there was a digital encoder, so a sort of electronic setting circle. I have tried unsuccessfully to use it in the past, and I have never had any joy locating an object with it.

So, now the vinyl circle is complete, I put new batteries in it and tried it. No wonder it is useless. On a full revolution, it's 4 degrees out, and this is compounded everytime it is moved backwards and forwards.

So that has now been removed.

I might be able to find something now.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank's guy's.

I'll post a report when I get chance. Of course, it's entirely possible we might get a good clear night, and be off down the dark site and you can have a go and see what you think.