• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Finally seen Panstarrs

We went out at 19.00 and traveled a short distance to what we thought would be a great place to see it. Unfortunately, the graveyard which sits on a prominent local hill was locked. So a short trip to another high bit of ground and there we were, Krys and myself scanning the skies for the Comet.

We were using a pair of 8x40's and 15x70's

Having had a look at Heavens Above and Stellarium, I thought I knew where to look. In reality, this turned into a panicked scanning of the whole western horizon.

At just after 20.00 I got it, a lot further North than I thought it would be, and  it needed to be getting fairly dark before it revealed itself. In fact it would have been visible for probably another half an hour as well, as it was still reasonably high, not skimming the horizon as I thought it would be.

It was perfectly clear in the 15x70's , and also there in the 8x40's, but I think I would have missed it n the smaller pair. Once I had found it though, I could just go straight back to it.

It has quite a short tail, but this has a good broad fan shape to it.

I took a small compass, it was between 300 and 310 degrees, and it should be observable from my drive. So next clear night there will be a scope out for a look.

I did think we had missed it, and another event was to be missed thanks to the weather, so Iam pleased we got to see this.

Well done martyn :) I was out with my 15x70s and my dad with his but the cloud was just too much down here in Devon. We are going to try again tonight-fingers crossed!

Great result Martyn

I cut through junction 27 last night and the sky was looking very clear.

Raced home for the bins and after a good 45 minutes with mince pies wide open ...... nothing, not a sausage.

I should have gone outside to higher ground as you did.

Paul

Well done martyn :) I was out with my 15x70s and my dad with his but the cloud was just too much down here in Devon. We are going to try again tonight-fingers crossed!

Felix

I wish you hadn't mentioned the "C" word as were off the Devon/Dorset in the morning but I'll take my bins just in case.

Paul

We were at the top of Knowle hill, next to the Swingate bridge, it was a good view from there, despite the street lamp. We got some funny looks off a group of young lads out on the lash.

Mick, Get a compass, stand clear of metal objects, and have a look upwards from around 310 degrees. Wait until around 20.00 so it's dark enough to see it.

You will need Bin's or a scope to see it  now. It's faint in 8x40's but it is there.

I managed to see it a couple of nights ago with a pair of 10x25's, but it was quite faint.

Just uploaded the orbit  data into Stellarium so I can find it with my scope. Just need it to get a bit higher in the sky methinks......

Finally!!!! Found it, thanks to Martyn's bearing info above and some panning and scanning with the binos. Visible head and tail taking up about 1/10 of the FOV in my 20x60's. Tail pointing off at about the one o'clock position relative to the head.

And a faint satellite just passed through the field of view as well! The evening is looking up (in more ways than one).