• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Which canon

Martin

Im looking at buying a new slr next month ,I want a camera for both landscape and astro ,I have it down to 2 either 1100d or 650d , I currently have a sony A200 great for landscape , terrible for astro

Any advice would be welcome

Have generally heard for Astro the 1100 d is ok. But I think

Most canons are ok. I have used 40 d and 50 d and both

Performed well.

Sheila

Hi Martin - The 1100 is great for astro imaging - especially if you get it modified (red filter removal) to pick up all the Ha that comes from many types of nebulae. One good thing is the live view facility which is a great aid to focusing.

The 650D is considerably dearer but is aimed at the astro community. Here's a detailed review of it in the link below. Also you should read the "Astronomiser" article on astro imaging with Canon dslrs. It covers mostly previous models but the principles discussed are similar for all and gives you a good grounding on what to choose and why. Hth :)

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/06/canon-eos-650d-this-is-how-you-actually-bring-powerful-hd-video-to-the-masses/#null

http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/helpcanon.htm

i have a 1100d fitted with a astronomik cls filter, works well although i`m still learning how to use it myself, the 650d is a different beast, i suppose it would depend on budget,

i managed to purchase my 1100d from tesco outlet on the bay of fleas, ( e bay ) fully warranted with a mark 3 lens for £250 including delivery which i belive is a small bargain.

live view works great and using the APT imaging software is a real breeze and works fantastic with the newer canons that have live view,

just set the camera to manual and APT software does the rest.

• 4 weeks later...

Well took the plunge and collected my new Canon 1100d twin lens kit on Friday

very impressed so far ,need to learn how to use it correctly

but first impressions are good 

Also ordered the shutter release interval timer ,so i can have a stab at time lapse 

I've got a 600 and a 1000; i do love them.

As with a lot of things, you'll learn loads by playing with it. Also spend a few hours with someone who knows canon's well, you'll pick up stuff. I'm no expert with canons or with day or night time photography but if you are anywhere near ng2 i'd be happy to help you out if i can.

Enjoy.

James

You can't go wrong with Canon, I use a 550D and a 5D mk3 both are awesome....

Time lapse is easy, you don't need anything to fancy, I have a couple of triggers, a wireless one that was around £80 and more recently this which is brilliant and more than adequate £15;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Time-lapse-intervalometer-remote-timer-shutter-for-Canon-DSLR-650D-600D-Camera-/370797649931?pt=UK_Photography_DigitalCamAccess_RL&hash=item565543200b

Now all you need is something to process your time lapse and clear skies.

Good luck. M. ;)

Edited by Mark Harper.