• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Funky foam fun

Tweedledee

What do you do on Easter Sunday?

777a.jpg

785a.jpg

790.jpg

:)

Edited by Tweedledee

I made one of these last week for my telrad as it always dewed up really quickly. It really does work well and the couple of times i have had the scope out it has not dewed up at all. Picked the foam up off ebay for about £1.50 for 2 x A4 sheets.

Reckon you got the same foam as me then Mark.

Glad I had two sheets, 'cos I ballsed up the first sheet with a cut in the wrong place, even though I was being very careful  :screwloose:  :D .

Easy done Pete. Glad i have a spare one though, for myself or anyone else that need one in future.

Also i was able to make a small dew shield for my 8x50 finder with the cut off so very little waste.

Brilliant idea Mark.

My messed up sheet will still be plenty big enough for a finder dew shield, glad I didn't chuck it in the bin now. :)

Oooooh this looks like a good idea. I was frozen out last night. My Telrad window looked like frosted glass by pack up time!

Angus

Please feel free to copy the design and dimensions on my drawing or modify in any way.

I might be looking to collect some royalties at some stage, such as a peek through a 12" dob, cheers. :)

I'm pleased my skills and knowledge have come in handy some where. ;-)

Your drawings are very precise, very useful, thank you Encyclopeteia :-)

I have one of those but sorry to tell you it had little effect on my dew problems. So I've now done the 3W resistor mod :)

I have one of those but sorry to tell you it had little effect on my dew problems. So I've now done the 3W resistor mod :)

I've also heard various mixed reports. I'm sure dew forming conditions vary greatly in different areas with different set ups. I have read reports that some people only manage to successfully stave off dew using combination of both electrical and shielding methods. But I'm sure that dewing something is better than dewing nothing, Sorry :facepalm: .

I'm pleased my skills and knowledge have come in handy some where. ;-)

Your drawings are very precise, very useful, thank you Encyclopeteia :-)

Cheers Cazz.

You've certainly been an inspiration :) .

Here's some info worth reading about dew and its control...

http://www.astro-tom.com/tips_and_advice/dewing.htm

Sometimes simple things work.

As mentioned in the above article, if you have a large tree close behind you whilst observing, the tree is likely to collect most of the dew in preference to your optics. Obviously you will only be able to observe the part of the sky not obscured by the tree, but nothings ever perfect :D .

Well I do live further north than most of you so perhaps my dew problems are worse :) however I found the resistor mod really helpful for the telrad. If the dew shield alone does it for you then your luckier than me in the dew stakes :D

I will report back when I have got some use out of it Tom.

Is your resistor mod the one that runs direct from the Telrad batteries?

No I power it from a spare port on my dew heater control box. That gives me variable control :)